Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
melo10 Top Student
Top Student
6 0 0
Message 1 of 11
Flag Post

Fingerprint reader not working after weekly update

Pavilion Dv6
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Good evening,

my fingerprint reader/simplepass stopped working after my computer received an update this past tuesday.

Let me give you a timeline of event.

I tried to reinstall simplepass- it would not let me do it because I was told to remove aunthentec driver.

I wasn't able to remove authentec driver in the begining, so I used the instructions in another post and did it via the registry.

I tried to reinstall simplepass, it would not allow me to do it, saying I already had a software that perform the same function.

tried system restore, failed about 6 times.

deleted all programs and restarted to download simplepass and it worked, however, It is not the one that uses fingerprint data.

I tried to reinstall my old simplepass, and it work

This is the error I get after I finally was able to reinstall simplepass 

"The truesuite engine failed to initialize properly. Restarting the application, restarting the computer, or reinstalling the application may fix this problem. The application must now exit"

so, how can I find the truesuite engine?

thanks

10 REPLIES
Teacher
Teacher
121 4 13
Message 2 of 11
Flag Post

Hi,

if you are ok with it , You can run a recovery and this will make the computer to go back to factory setting condition, and wipe out all the data , and then you re install the software for finger print.

steps to run recovery

•  power down the note book 
  • as soon as you hit the power button , keep tapping the esc key on the top left corner until a new window opens up(the start up menu ) 
  • choose the option f11 and choose the option trouble shooting, and run the option called recovery

cheers

Dhee

Provost Provost
Provost
19552 1614 6310
Message 3 of 11
Flag Post

@melo10

@Dhee may be right -- after hacking at the registry, you may have caused damage to the File System.

Assuming for the moment that things are not quite so dire, you may be able to get this working.

Please provide the exact model of dv6 computer you have:

Product Number

As an alternative to providing the information, you can check your computer's Driver Support Page for a usuable Synaptics / Validity Driver.   Look in Category Driver - Keyboard, Mouse and Input Devices

If there is no driver listed for Windows 10, you can likely use a fingerprint driver rated for Windows 8.x -- so check that OS listing as well.

If you cannot find a fingerprint Driver, you are welcome to check the Dragon document Section titled Bits and Drivers for a driver that is a hardware match to your device.

Fancy_Lines_3.jpg

Once you have a usuable Driver, (even the one already installed on your computer, if it is already working), then you set up the Windows Logon software. 

Windows key > Settings > Accounts > Sign-in Options

Assign a PIN number (mandatory) > then enable the fingerprint reader

Once that is done, you can add HP SimplePass to the mix...

Fancy_Lines_3.jpg

It sounds like you were, at one time, using Series 6 HP SimplePass by AuthenTec.

The Series 6 AuthenTec HP SimplePass program has proven itself robust and sturdy over time.  The creators are long gone, having sold their company to Apple a few years back.  The program is still around; it is no longer updated or supported beyond being available.

The Series 6 HP SimplePass program may no longer run in Windows 10 AU (Anniversary Update).  You can certainly try it, especially if you have an Export of your websites / passwords file that ends with .tsd.

sp63224 HP SimplePass V6.0.100.276 Win7-8

If you do not have a websites backup (Export) and / or if you do not even know that that is, then you should use the Series 8 HP SimplePass program.  Series 8 HP SimplePass is supported and is rated to run with Windows 10.

Latest Version:

sp76923 HP SimplePass V8.01.62A W7-W10 32/64bitS

Fancy_Lines_3.jpg

Help, suggestions, and examples:

Instructions to Upgrade HP SimplePass

Read the first page: Dragon Document Guidelines

Sections of interest include:

• Order of Events is important
  • Change Sign-In Options
  • Procedure - Update / (Re) Install HP SimplePass
  • Bits and Drivers

When you see a Post that helps you,

Inspires you, provides fresh insight,

Or teaches you something new,

Click the "Thumbs Up" on that Post.

Fixed / Answered? Click that post Accept as Solution to help others find Answers.

Kind Regards,
Dragon-Fur
melo10 Top Student
Top Student
6 0 0
Message 4 of 11
Flag Post

Dragon

thank you

my product number is DV6-7024nr

UPDATE

I did a factory reset. now this is happening, I uploaded Simplepass 6, and when I am about to register the windows log on, it says my password does not match.

The driver is not working eather. I will  update it and update you guys. thank you

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
19552 1614 6310
Message 5 of 11
Flag Post

@melo10

Unless you have a really good reason not to do so, I suggest you opt to install Series 8 SimplePass (as opposed to the older Series 6 program).

Good luck.

Let us know.

Fixed / Answered? Click that post Accept as Solution to help others find Answers.

Kind Regards,
Dragon-Fur
0 Kudos
melo10 Top Student
Top Student
6 0 0
Message 6 of 11
Flag Post

Dragon,

I followed your advice and got 8.

this is what I have right not with the driver

This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (Code 31)

{Operation Failed}
The requested operation was unsuccessful.

Any other advice?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
19552 1614 6310
Message 7 of 11
Flag Post

@melo10

melo10 wrote:

Dragon,

I followed your advice and got 8.

this is what I have right not with the driver

This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (Code 31)

{Operation Failed}

Any other advice?

Thanks!

Bullet_Arrow_1.JPGI have lost track of which of the steps you have completed. 

Bullet_Arrow_1.JPG  I suggest you create a Safe-House Account as described in the Dragon Document.  Section: Safe-House Account

Bullet_Arrow_1.JPGIf you have not done so yet, create a Restore Point before making changes to your computer.  Section: System_Restore_Point

Fancy_Lines_3.jpg

System:

HP Pavilion dv6-7024nr Entertainment Notebook PC

Windows 8.x Validity Driver for your fingerprint reader:

File name: sp58900.exe

Release details

Released: Sep 7, 2012

Version 4.4.234.0

Bullet_Arrow_1.JPG  Download and do not yet install the Driver.

Fancy_Lines_2.jpg

Bullet_Arrow_1.JPG  If you installed a different driver (older / other) driver, say an old Driver for Windows 7 >

Please uninstall and delete the older driver from the Device Manager >

Shut down the computer > wait a few seconds >

Boot the computer and log in

Bullet_Arrow_1.JPG  Open:  Windows key > Settings > Accounts > Sign-in Options

Bullet_Arrow_1.JPG  Can you assign a PIN number?
Bullet_Arrow_1.JPG  Can you enable the fingerprint reader?

Fancy_Lines_2.jpg

If the answer is Yes, then Windows fingerprint Logon software is likely now working.  Windows fingerprint Logon allows the user to swipe a fingerprint to log into his / her account.  Windows Logon does not provide support for websites / passwords.

Restart the computer > ensure the fingerprint logon is working >
Install the latest Series 8 HP SimplePass program >
Restart the computer to complete the SimplePass installation process

That's it.  Should be done.

Fancy_Lines_2.jpg

If the answer was No, then Windows fingerprint logon does not have a built-in (Windows) fingerprint Driver that supports the hardware on your computer.

Install downloaded Driver package sp58900.exe >

Shut down the computer > wait a few seconds >

Boot the computer and log in

Bullet_Arrow_1.JPG  Check to see if you can set up / enable Windows logon:

Open:  Windows key > Settings > Accounts > Sign-in Options

Bullet_Arrow_1.JPG  Can you Assign the PIN number?

Bullet_Arrow_1.JPG  Can you enable the fingerprint reader?

Fancy_Lines_2.jpg

If the Answer is Yes:  Install the HP SimplePass program >

That's it - Should be done.

Fancy_Lines_2.jpg

If the Answer is No:  Install the HP SimplePass program >

Try again to assign the PIN / enable the fingerprint reader:

Open:  Windows key > Settings > Accounts > Sign-in Options

That's it - should be done.

Fancy_Lines_3.jpg

Reminders

• Systems that have been migrated beyond the original installed Operating System version can be problematic. Worse:  If you do not have HP Drivers and Software to support the current Operating System, Windows fingerprint logon and / or SimplePass may not work at all.

• There are two Series (version sets) of SimplePass mentioned in this document – the different version sets are NOT compatible with one another. Series 8 is not an “upgrade” of Series 6.  Different programs, different authors, competing code.   You can switch versions.  Section: Switch HP SimplePass Series

Fancy_Lines_3.jpg

Good Luck.

Kind Regards,
Dragon-Fur
0 Kudos
melo10 Top Student
Top Student
6 0 0
Message 8 of 11
Flag Post

@Dragon-fur

I tried everything you recommended, I still get this error in the driver box under device manager

{Operation Failed}

did the latest update disabled my bimetric?

thanks!

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
19552 1614 6310
Message 9 of 11
Flag Post

@melo10

melo10 wrote:

@Dragon-fur

I tried everything you recommended, I still get this error in the driver box under device manager

{Operation Failed}

did the latest update disabled my bimetric?

thanks!

I don't know the answer.

Apparently the Validity Driver is not installing.  Rats.

Your system is dependent on Windows 10 Drivers and Software -- there are not HP Drivers for your system to support Windows 10.  It is possible there is a missing link or a missing sub-routine.  It is likely that the hardware is not being read correctly - lack of infrastructure HP Drivers for Windows 10 and all that...

The Valdity Driver itself is compatible -- but that in and of itself compatibility is not enough.

And, yes - anything is possible, although in general, Updates do not disable hardware.  Updates can certainly play havoc with drivers and software.

If you have not already done so, try:

• Uninstall AND Delete the existing Validity Driver from the Device Manager >
  • Stop all programs > shut down the computer >

• Perform Hard Reset (described in Section: Pile of Rubble - Hard Reset Sequence / Forced Reset)

Reminder:  Hard Reset is a driver reset; the procedure is NOT a Operating System reset. 

• Boot the computer and log in >

Next - install sp58900.exe :

Control Panel > set icon view > Device Manager >

Open category Biometric Devices >

Right-Click on Validity Sensor Driver > Update Driver Software >

In Update Driver Wizard, Select > Browse my computer for Driver Software >

Click Browse > Navigate to folder / location of your downloaded Driver >

Select Driver to be installed >

After the Driver installs > Shut down the computer > boot > and log in

This is a variation on

1. Reinstall the Existing Fingerprint Driver
    • Option 3A Install Driver from within the Device Manager > Method 2

Fancy_Lines_4.jpg

Good Luck.

Kind Regards,
Dragon-Fur
0 Kudos
melo10 Top Student
Top Student
6 0 0
Message 10 of 11
Flag Post

@Dragon-Fur,

Thanks, but nothing changed. I wonder if I should use Simplepass 6 instead of the 8, as it was the one it was the one it was originally installed in my laptop. I will call HP and see if there is anything they can do.

I know my laptop is old, but all love all of it, and one of features I love is the biometric reader.

once again,

thanks!

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation