Having trouble signing in? Try this!
Ask questions. Help others.
The HP Community is here for you.
Post new question
Question

Note on archived topics.
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here, or click on "Post new question" above and select the appropriate board.
Top Student
Message 1 of 12 (406 Views)

Function shortcut key software for Pavilion 15-N210DX Laptop

Product Name: HP Pavilion 15-n210dx
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

i have a colleague with a

HP Pavilion 15-n210dx

I'm unable to locate the shortcut key software, so that i can use the function key to turn on the wifi, adjust the volume, adjust the brightness, etc...  Can anyone assist

0 Kudos
Retired
Message 2 of 12 (380 Views)

Re: Function shortcut key software for Pavilion 15-N210DX Laptop

[ Edited ]

Hello @JF_Sedgwick,

Thanks for joining the HP Support Forum Community!

I read your post about not being able to locate the function key software and wanted to reach out to help you! 

You may want to check here to ensure the most up to date drivers are installed. If you are using the latest drivers, you may find this document helpful in troubleshooting.

Please let me know if this help resolves the issue by marking this post as Accept as Solution.

Thanks!

Please click the Thumbsup.JPG below to show you like/appreciate my post or to simply say thanks!

Please share what worked for you with others by marking the post as solved by clicking the Accept as Solution button.

Thanks - I work on behalf of HP

Top Student
Message 3 of 12 (376 Views)

i visisted the driver site for the 15-N210DX laptop plenty of times, but no where on it do you see a link to download the software for the function shortcut key software.

Retired
Message 4 of 12 (366 Views)

Hi @JF_Sedgwick,

This product was original shipped with Windows 8.1 (64-bit) so at some point the operating system has been downgraded to Windows 7 (64-bit). With downgrading, some features and functions may be limited or disabled based on the capabilities of the operating system.

You may also want to try downloading the drivers for HP Quick Launch buttons.

If you have all the latest drivers and software for Windows 7 for all installed components you may want to check that the function key has not been disabled in the BIOS.

Let me know how you make out with this information!

Thanks!

Please click the Thumbsup.JPG below to show you like/appreciate my post or to simply say thanks!

Please share what worked for you with others by marking the post as solved by clicking the Accept as Solution button.

Top Student
Message 5 of 12 (365 Views)

also the 2nd document is for stuck keys or issues with the keyboard.  i just want you to know that the keyboard is working 100% but the Function keys (F1 through F12) that control the wifi, adjust volume, adjust brightness, etc... doesn't work without the software software letting the computer know what key does what.  the actual keys work, but not the functions that they perform is what i'm saying

Top Student
Message 6 of 12 (363 Views)

i wanted to install windows 8.1 but the colleague said that the laptop didn't come with a restore cd and after the hard drive crashed it was impossible to retrieve the files.

does HP provide windows 8.1 software? because even if i could download it from your site, i dont see where the 25digit key is for the software, since it's not on the back. (possibly they removed it) i'm not sure

Top Student
Message 7 of 12 (353 Views)

the software didn't work and the action keys mode was already enabled. i guess the next step is loading Windows 8.1?

Retired
Message 8 of 12 (345 Views)

Hello again @JF_Sedgwick

HP Notebook systems come with a recovery partition on the hard drive. You mentioned that drive has crashed so the partition has likely been overwritten or the original drive has been replaced from what I understand. 

You can use the Microsoft media creation utility which would allow you to create a recovery disk/drive and install Windows 8.1. 

Please keep me updated on how you are making out with the issue.

Thanks!

Top Student
Message 9 of 12 (321 Views)

i was able to download the software, but i dont see the windows 8.1  (25)digit key on the bottom of the laptop or in the battery section. is there a way to look it up with just the serial number?

Retired
Message 10 of 12 (304 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi @JF_Sedgwick, 

The Windows activation key for this system would be stored in the BIOS.

Thanks!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation