cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
ChrisGuy
Level 1
3 2 1 0
Message 1 of 9
Flag Post

Solved!

G72-B66US CPU Upgrade

HP Recommended

I am considering upgrading the CPU of this laptop, but can't find it anywhere to see if it is possible.  I am getting into video editing and per the spec reqs  of Sony to run Sony Vegas I meet them but when I do actual editing the timeline has occassional hiccups.  

I am looking into upgrading to an i7 so I won't have any processing issues.  

Thanks in advance to any help that can be provided.  

0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
Paul_Tikkanen
Level 21
Level 21
129,350 119,527 19,525 29,847
Message 2 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi:

Below is the service manual for your notebook:

Supported processors can be found in Chapter 1, page 1.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c02623152.pdf

Paul

0 Kudos
ChrisGuy
Author
Level 1
3 2 1 0
Message 3 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Wow Paul that is such awesome help!!! 

Thank you very very much.  

0 Kudos
Paul_Tikkanen
Level 21
Level 21
Message 4 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

0 Kudos
ChrisGuy
Author
Level 1
3 2 1 0
Message 5 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Paul, just a question.  I saw the processors listed on Chapter 1 page 1.  However there is also another listing of processors on page 83.  On page 83 the processor list goes up to an i7-620m.  However, on page 1, it only goes up to an i5-540m.  Now i'm confused as to which one I am able to go up to.

0 Kudos
Paul_Tikkanen
Level 21
Level 21
Message 6 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi:

That is an interesting observation...

I looked at the BIOS release notes and none add support for newer processors.

The general specs on the i7 and i5 processors are relatively the same, so I can only take a guess and say the i7 should work too.

It might be worth a call to HP technical support...  800-474-6836

Paul

0 Kudos
brownboy3491
4 3 0 1
Message 7 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

make sure the cpu heat profile isn't more than the original chip or the heat sink and fan will be unable to keep the chip stable

0 Kudos
Mrstenter
Retired
Retired
16,541 17,372 959 2,183
Message 8 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hey Brownboy3491,

Thank you for the additional information on CPU upgrade. I will mark the post to HP.

Have a good week.

Thanks

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom left to say “Thanks” for helping.:smileyhappy:

I work on behalf of HP
0 Kudos
RicktheDead
1 1 0 0
Message 9 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi I will be testing this later today, might not be any use to you guys now but I would suspect that the initial part of the guide is the supported CPU's for this motherboard which looks to be various ranging from budget pentiums up to the i7-620m the initial part where it lists specs sounds like the manual for this is general purpose across the G72 range as I have a G72 - 110sa currently with an i3-330m CPU installed and max memory at 8gb.

I am looking to maximise the performance and will eventually shell out for an SSD to improve perfomance further.

I will try to come back to you folks on this in case anyone else in future is looking to make the same upgrades as I am.

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation