Ask questions. Help others.
The HP Community is here for you.
Post new question
Question

Note on archived topics.
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here, or click on "Post new question" above and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
Professor
Message 1 of 26 (40,706 Views)

General Upgrade Guide for Envy, Pavilion, G, etc. series laptops

[ Edited ]

I'm putting some information together about upgrading to Windows 8 and hopefully it helps some people with the process.  There are quite a few dependencies, workarounds and gotchas that are good to know about before you get started.  This thread is intended to be specific to consumer notebooks (Pavilion, Envy, Compaq, G, etc.) but some of the information is also true for other product lines.

Feel free to add helpful information to the thread or ask questions.  I may not know the answers but someone else usually does.  Please be specific about which model computer you have!

Read through this information before buying the upgrade, if it's not already too late.  Your experience with Windows 8 depends on the specifications of your computer and also whether drivers and software will be available from HP.  This information isn't always communicated when using the compatibility tool provided by Microsoft.  The official HP Windows 8 site (with important information) is here: http://www8.hp.com/us/en/ad/windows-8/home.html.  This is my own 'unofficial' attempt to help.

Step 1: Determine if your model was tested by HP and will be supported with new Windows 8 drivers.

Go to the HP Windows 8 landing page here and enter your product number:

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/ad/windows-8/instructions.html

Type your product number into the lookup field.  Important: the product number is different than the model number.  You can find the product number located beside the serial number on the bottom of the laptop or sometimes in the battery compartment.

• The model number for my Pavilion laptop is m6-1050xx.  The product number is B5Z34AS#ABA.  I used B5Z34AS at the site (don't use the # or the characters after). 
  • The model number for my EliteBook is 8540w.  The product number is SH994UC#ABA.  I used SH994UC at the site.

If HP has tested your PC and is providing drivers and instructions, there is an option to download a PDF version of the upgrade instructions.  Those instructions are also available at the links below.

If HP has not tested your model PC, that does not mean that the hardware will not support Windows 8.  Windows 8 may be fully functional after the upgrade.  However, it may be a challenge to get full functionality for some models and other models simply will only support Windows 8 with partial functionality.

This is where you need to decide if going forward is the right path for you.  Windows 7 is a really good OS that is still supported by Microsoft and HP.  Is it worth it?  For many, looking for drivers in the forum or elsewhere that HP does not provide can be challenging.  You should consider whether you're up to this task before upgrading a PC that HP did not test and qualify drivers for.

Step 2:  Get the latest BIOS update from HP.com.

For consumer notebook models that are tested, there are two types of BIOS updates.

• Windows 8 BIOS updates for the most recently shipping Windows 7 systems will support UEFI 2.3.1. Such systems would be capable of supporting Windows 8 features like Secure Boot and GPT drives (these features require a clean install of Windows 8).
  • Windows 8 BIOS updates for older systems are limited by the BIOS chip size. Such systems will not be capable of supporting Windows 8 features like Secure Boot and GPT drives. It is still recommended to update as they introduce support for the wireless button in Windows 8 and may have other fixes related to issues seen in test.

For more specific information see the ArtAppreciator thread Consumer Notebooks and Windows 8 - Overview of BIOS updates.

HP will not provide a Windows 8 BIOS that supports UEFI 2.3.1 for consumer desktops PCs.  It's important that you install the latest BIOS anyways.

Step 3:  Find the Windows 8 drivers for your model.

Use your model number (m6-1050xx is my laptop's model number) here: http://www8.hp.com/us/en/support-drivers.html

For PCs that are tested/supported by HP, Windows 8 drivers will be available in the drop-down menu.  Make sure that there are Audio, Chipset, Graphics and Network drivers listed.  Some drivers may have not been released at the time of this post.  It's a good idea to wait until those major drivers are posted before continuing with your upgrade.

For PCs that are not tested/supported by HP, Windows 8 will provide many of the drivers you need during the install or afterwards using Windows Update.  There are exceptions, such as switchable graphics, that I'll discuss later in this post.

Step 4: Upgrade to Windows 8

Follow the instructions provide in the table above.  Seriously, read the instructions.  Your PC may have an mSATA cache drive, or you may not want to lose useful software or you might have installation errors.  Read the instructions.

There are two types of upgrades; in-place upgrade and clean-install (sometimes called 'custom installation').  Most computers will be fine with the in-place upgrade.  It takes less time. Programs, settings and data are not deleted, the process is user-friendly.  You should consider the clean install if HP provided a Windows 8 BIOS for UEFI 2.3.1 and you wish to use those features.  Or if you simply want to wipe out your current OS and start fresh.

Create a set of recovery discs and back up your data to a different media (DVD, CD, USB drive, Cloud, etc.)

Do this now! Creating Recovery Discs or Saving a Recovery Image to a USB Flash Drive (Windows 7)

How to order: Looking for Recovery Discs?

In-place upgrade notes:

• Run Windows Update and install all important/recommended updates before starting the upgrade.
  • Microsoft Office Starter Edition - When upgrading to Windows 8, Microsoft Starter Edition will disappear unless you install Microsoft: Update for Microsoft Office 2010 (KB2553141) 32-Bit Edition before you upgrade.  The patch is available in Windows Update but it's best if you install it directly just to be certain.  If you do not do this step, you will not be able to recover Microsoft Office Starter Edition without performing a full system recovery to Windows 7.
  • Some software conflicts with the Windows 8 Upgrade program.  The checker may not point this out to you.  Steps for uninstalling are in the instructions.
    • Realtek Card Reader driver (version 6.1.7600.74)
    • AMD High Definition Audio driver (version 8.861.1.2000)
  • mSATA cache drives are not affected by the in-place upgrade.  You'll need to upgrade the Intel Rapid Start software after you’re done.

Clean install notes:

• Upgrade the BIOS first.
  • Download and save Windows 8 drivers to a USB drive or disc.
  • mSATA cache drives - You'll need to change some settings in Windows 7 before installing Windows 8.  First, in the Intel Rapid Storage Technology program, disable acceleration for the cache drive.  Then reset the cache partition to available.  The instructions are here.  If you do not perform these steps, the cache partition will remain hidden during the clean install and you'll be prompted to provide storage drivers before the installation can continue.

Avoid the storage drivers mess and just follow the steps to disable acceleration and reset the partition.

After the installation, you should install the latest version of IRST and reset the cache.

• When you boot from the installation disc or drive, the boot options menu will be different depending on whether you have UEFI  or not.  Select Internal CD/DVD ROM <UEFI> if you are using an installation DVD or select USB Hard Drive <UEFI> if installing from a USB storage device.  If no UEFI options are available, then use either the CD/DVD or USB option.
  • If you want to use advanced Windows 8 features like Secure Boot or the GPT hard drive format you must delete all current partitions so that the hard drive(s) can be re-formatted.  You can create new partitions after you delete.
  • After the installation completes, install .NET Framework 3.5.  It's required to for some versions of ATI Catalyst Control Center, HPSA and other software.  This step isn't required if you do an in-place upgrade.

Step 5: After you upgrade:

Beats audio:

For tested notebooks, the Beats audio software is installed with the Windows 8 audio drivers for your PC.  Download them from hp.com.

Touchpad drivers:

See ArtAppreciators thread here http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-e-g-Windows-8/Consumer-Notebooks-and-Windows-8-Touchp...

Wireless, Bluetooth, WWAN & Radio controls:

See ArtAppreciators thread here: http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Wireless-Internet-Home/Consumer-Notebooks-and-Windows-8-Wireless-BT-WWA...

Windows Update Hangs during the first really big update after installing Windows 8:

There are some workarounds in this thread: http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Lockups-Freezes-Hangs/Windows-8-Won-t-Update-Hangs-at-12/m-p/2...

DVD Playback:

Windows 8 does not have native support for DVD playback.  If you did an in-place upgrade, the upgrade program should determine if you need a new version of your current software.  If you have a tested PC with a Blu-ray drive, you can download and install the Windows 8 version of CyberLink DVD playback software from the download page for your model.

If you need software, Windows 8 Media Center Pack is available in the "Add features to Windows 8” section of the Settings menu in Windows 8.  This will enable playback within Media Center (not Media Player).  If you prefer different software, HP and Cyberlink are providing a special offer on Cyberlink PowerDVD to HP customers available at http://www.cyberlink.com/stat/oem/hp/win8_upgrade/enu/index.jsp.

Switchable Graphics drivers:

For tested PCs,HP has released or will release drivers that enable switchable graphics. 

For all others there may be full or limited functionality depending upon the hardware.  Most of the time, the integrated graphics processor (usually Intel) works properly but the discrete graphics processor (ATI, AMD) needs a driver.

There are third party drivers that have worked for some PCs but not others.  This thread is very active and covers different scenarios and hardware configurationThis thread is also helpful.

Issue: Black screen after upgrade and PC won't boot (SSD+HDD configurations):

There is a known issue with Intel Smart Response Technology operating under Microsoft Windows 8. To resolve this issue, do the following:

1. Start the notebook and press F10 to enter the BIOS setup screens.
  2. Go to System Configuration > Boot Options > Legacy Boot , then set this option to Enable.
  3. Save and exit, then reboot the notebook.

Issue: After resuming from Sleep or Hibernate mode, the notebook cannot detect a USB device connected to one of the left hand side USB 3.0 ports.

To resolve this issue, do the following:

1. Click Start , type device, then select the Device Manager control panel application from the search results list.
  2. In Device Manager, expand Universal Serial Bus Controller , right-click USB Root Hub (xHCI) , then select Properties.
  3. In the USB Root Hub Properties window, select the Power Management tab.
  4. Deselect Allow the computer to turn off this device.
  1. Click OK to save the changes.
  1. You may have to restart the notebook for this change to take effect.

Issue: The Wake-on-LAN (WOL) feature may not work in Microsoft Windows 8.

To resolve this issue, disable fast startup as follows:

1. Click Start , type power , then select the Power Options control panel applet from the search results list.
  2. Select Choose what the power buttons do from the left-hand side of the window.
  1. Click Change settings that are currently unavailable .
  1. Deselect Turn on fast startup , then click Save changes .

The reason Wake-on-LAN does not work with Windows 8 by default is because of the new Fast Startup (hybrid boot) feature. This allows a notebook to rapidly shutdown, saving all current functions and then later reboot as quickly as waking from Hibernation. Disabling fast startup means that this hybrid boot functionality is turned off.

What else?

Are there specific drivers you can't find?  Are there problems during or after the upgrade that you need solutions for?  Let us know.

I am an HP employee.
Tutor
Message 2 of 26 (36,474 Views)

Re: General Upgrade Guide for Envy, Pavilion, G, etc. series laptops

very nice description.

UEFI bios doesnt work with version F22 say the HP Support.

HP Support say that is a Microsoft problem.

Wait for the Upgrades from MS.

Use thesystem without UEFI use the legacy boot (System Start push F10 disable UEFI Support)

Intern
Message 3 of 26 (33,973 Views)

[ Edited ]

I have just bought Pavilion dv6t-7000 with windows 7 home premium, and I want to install original windows 8 but i can't..!! :smileysad:

I am Getting error

"Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The Selected disk has an MBR Partition table.On EFI systems, windows can only be installed to GPT."

I have search and found one link on HP, which says

Temporarily disable the EFI Boot Sources setting in the BIOS:
In Storage , Boot order Disable the EFI Boot Sources .

but in my laptop I did't get any option like that..!!

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03445889

Here are the steps what excelty I have done,

Step 1 - I have update my BIOS and now new version is f.23
step 2- Start install windows 8 with original DVD and Format drive C:
Step 3 - And now when I am trying to select any drive for windows 8 installation it gives above msg that

"Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The Selected disk has an MBR Partition table.On EFI systems, windows can only be installed to GPT."

So now what can I do..??!! Please Help me.. :smileysad:

Thanks a lot,
Krunal

Associate Professor
Message 4 of 26 (33,956 Views)

[ Edited ]

Go to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/297800/EN-US

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2561821/EN-US

Say thanks by clicking the "Kudos! Star" which is on the left.

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue.

Intern
Message 5 of 26 (33,941 Views)

Hi Toffy,

I have to creted "GUID Partition Table"..!!?? Smiley Sad

There is no other option..??

Thanks..

Krunal

Intern
Message 6 of 26 (33,387 Views)

Hi
what about the on screen display driver it is not in the official hp driver list for my hp-dm4 3002tx
Honor Student
Message 7 of 26 (18,744 Views)

I just installed windows8 on my pavilion dv6-6188ca and I can't seem to find drivers for it anywhere, can someone give me links to download the drivers I'd really appreciate it
Distinguished Professor
Message 8 of 26 (18,734 Views)

Unfortunately there are no HP drivers available for your notebook. You can either try to use the Windows 7 drivers in compatibility mode or you can try to locate the drivers from the hardware manufacturers website. 

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Signature
Honor Student
Message 9 of 26 (18,718 Views)

Is hp ever going to realease drivers for my notebook
Distinguished Professor
Message 10 of 26 (18,320 Views)

I would recommend that you take a look at the following HP Windows 8 upgrade information.

Here is a link: http://www8.hp.com/us/en/ad/windows-8/about-upgrading.html

More than likely you purchased your notebook before October 1, 2011 or it was manufactured before that date and it will not be receiving Windows 8 drivers. 

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Signature
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation