Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
BrianMiller Top Student
Top Student
3 2 0 1
Message 1 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

H* ENVY TouchSmart 17-j153cl Broken Hinge

H* ENVY TouchSmart 17-j153cl
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have searched this forum, Google, and YouTube, but haven't found a way to repair the left hinge on my H* ENVY TouchSmart 17-j153cl laptop. The left hinge has separated from the main chassis causing the bottom of the laptop to pop out of the top part. Attachment to the screen is still fine. The right hinge has not failed yet, but with the extra pressure on it, it may only be a matter of time.

I am just out of warranty, unfortunately. Does anyone have any resources for attempting this repair? I'd hate to break my computer worse than it already is by going in blindly. 

Thank you,

-Brian

15 REPLIES 15
Retired danny-r
Retired
8251 7100 141 469
Message 2 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

@BrianMiller

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum.

I work on behalf of HP
BrianMiller Top Student
Top Student
3 2 0 1
Message 3 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Thank you Danny. I'm open to any feedback others might have on fixing this in the meantime.

0 Kudos
KT__ Top Student
Top Student
3 3 0 1
Message 4 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Unfortunatlely this seems like a real problem with HP Envy - have one myself and had to send it in for repair - cost about $130.  Really think based on all the complaints this is a design flaw but try to get HP to admit to that.  Have had mine fixed now for about 3-4 months and haven't closed the lid once!!!  Good luck with yours - hope someday HP will admit the design flaw.

BrianMiller Top Student
Top Student
3 2 0 1
Message 5 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Credit where credit's due. Thanks Danny for forwarding my info along to customer support.  They promptly reached out to me and are helping me to resolve the issue as it is still under warranty. Thank you!

0 Kudos
HP_TITAN Honor Student
Honor Student
3 2 0 0
Message 6 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

I'm having the same issue.  The left hinge just started lifting and separating from the bottom chassis when opening it.  Could you please forward my issue to the appropriate team as well?  Looking forward to that Private Message...

0 Kudos
JessCastaldi Student
Student
1 1 0 0
Message 7 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

I also just noticed this was happening with my Envy Touchsmart this morning. I tried contacting support and the website told me my computer was out of warrenty. Is there anything I can do about it?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
17489 12903 245 973
Message 8 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

@JessCastaldi

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum.
I work on behalf of HP
0 Kudos
lmreis Top Student
Top Student
5 1 0 0
Message 9 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Same issue here!

The laptop I purchased in 2014 and have treated with care has a broken hinge due to a well documented design flaw in HP laptops. The online support forum is full of complaints about HP Envy Touchsmart 15 broken hinge. It is extremely disappointing that a computer that costs almost a grand is broken in less than 2 years. I am aware HP recalled the faulty hinge in 2008 and the products continue to have these issues. It is not fair that the costumers have to pay for a faulty design. I called and they said there aren't enough complaints to recall but there are many threads on the HP forums that speak to this problem. I just cannot believe that HP is a company that won't stand behind their product. I request the replacement or repair of my product is covered by HP. I should not have to spend money to repair it within 2 years when it is a known defect.

0 Kudos
wiz188 Tutor
Tutor
11 7 0 1
Message 10 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

1. This broken hinges issue on HP Envy hinge  is a design flaw on both 15 and 17 inch touchscreen.

2. Design flaws do not fall under warranty protections for the company.

A company such as HP selling a product guarantees the product will act as described. Failure to do so requires the company to fix the product. Existence of warrant is immaterial.

Please have an appropriate, authorized HP officer send me an EMAIL, NOT A PRIVATE MESSAGE thru this board. There are thousands of complaints on this product, requiring HP to fix it at their cost.

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation