Note on archived topics.
12-10-2016 02:34 AM - last edited on 12-10-2016 10:40 AM by Omar-E
ubuntu 14.4 installed. online update for ubuntu 16 enabled. from that instance booting problem started in HP PC HARDWARE DIAGNOSTICS UEFI "SMART CHECK PASS SHORT DST FAILED" FAILURE ID: QBW3W8-71M8AR-MFPV61-60VG03
PRODUCT ID: G0A43PA#ACJ
my question: am able to see free space 1mb in reinstallation process. format option disabled.
so how to format harddisk for installing new OS?
pl suggest its very urgent
[personal information removed]
12-10-2016 12:23 PM - edited 12-10-2016 12:26 PM
Tux greetings :) Welcome to the HP Support forum !
I am sorry for the issues you experience.
** The code that appears means there is a hardware problem, a.k.a. PC cannot boot not because of the software but due to hard disk failure. Hard Disk 1 Quick Test Failure
Since this is faulty HDD, you will probably not be able to recovery your files and projects may be delayed.
Enter/Load BIOS and reset settings to default
1. Please, shutdown the computer using the power button
2. Power it on.
2.1 As soon as you press the power-on button, immediately begin hitting the Esc button (like tap-tap-tap).
This should open a HP Startup Menu which may look similar to this one
3. Choose/press F10
4. Follow the on-screen instructions to load DEFAULT settings. Save and exit
Restart and check
Your options if the above did not help:
1) If your computer is still under warranty, please contact HP Support and inform them. They will work with you about the way to replace the faulty component. Contact HP:
2) If your computer is with warranty period expired, you will need to replace the faulty HDD - buy it on your own. There are variety of options - vendors you can choose from. You can get it online or from PC retail store, or from HP parts store http://partsurfer.hp.com/
You can also consider installing SSD instead of HDD - this is strongly recommended as SSDs are way faster, more repliable and lighter. More info on SSDs:
* If you plan to use Windows from HP Recovery media - you need HDD with the very same size as the current one or bigger (small will not work) - e.g. if your current HDD is with 500 GB capacity, your new HDD/SDD must also be 500 GB or with bigger capacity.
* If you plan to use Linux, HDD/SSD capacity of new drive won't matter
How to replace the faulty HDD with new HDD or new SSD: please, find info and instruction in your computer's manual or watch YouTube videos examples for your HP model.
If you do not want to do this on your own, please bring the computer (or ship it) to HP Authorized Service Center where the technicians will do this for you. If you are not sure where such a center is located, check these or contact HP for assistance in finding the nearest one for you:
3) Last part - once you replace the faulty component - you will need to reinstall back your operating system - Windows or Linux based (Ubuntu or other)
Please, let me know how it goes and do post back if you need assistance. Looking forward to your feeback/reply.
**** Mark this post as an ACCEPTED SOLUTION if it helps **** Thanks !
I am not employed by HP Inc. **** I express personal opinion only. **** HP Expert **** I work in IT and cyber security