Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
EliteBook 8460p
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I bought a refurbished HP EliteBook that is corrupted and useless and the vendor (New Egg) wouldn't stand behind their product and neither would the refurbisher (Atlanta Electronics LLC) ...so I'm stuck.  They took my money and left me high 'n dry.   I've got a bootable Win 7 CD and I've tried to reinstall Windows using F8 and the machine goes nowhere.   It loads files and then I get the blue 'happy' screen that looks like it's in safe mode, but no toolbar, no nothing.  Just the annoying message 'Setup is starting' and nothing happens.  I've had the machine running for three days in that condition.  'Setup is starting' - and nothing happens.  It's unresponsive.  I can't get into the BIOS because I don't have the admin password.  The cooling fan is not functioning properly and the machine doesn't recognize the battery either, so it always has to be plugged in, but that's a minor issue at this point.  They sold me a junker and I'm out $400 now after paying a local computer geek to help me; and he didn't accomp[lish anything either.  So I guess the first issue is how to get into the BIOS and do a total HD wipe and a reinstall... Thanks for your help.

14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended

Hi:

Contact HP technical support at this number...1-800-334-5144.

Have the serial number of the PC handy to give to the customer services rep.

They should be able to send you to send you a customized SMC.bin file, which you can use at bootup to reset the password.

When talking to the HP rep ask them to escalate your service request.

And to boot from the DVD, you have to tap the ESC key at the beginning of the HP welcome screen.

Then you should get a menu of options.

Select the F9 boot options menu, select the DVD drive from the list of bootable devices.

The DVD drive could also be called an upgrade bay or multi bay.

HP Recommended

Thank you, Paul.  I've been to this point before, and once I hit F9 there's a coupla choices.  It happens fast, becuz the machine has a default on it's mind and it gives me 9 seconds to decide and then takes me right back to the same options.  I honestly forget how I got to the BIOS and was unable to log in, so that might be a first priority... Do I choose 'advanced options' when the F9 key is used?

HP Recommended

I hope my response was clear enough to allow more progress.  I am amazed at how this laptop failed on so many levels and continued to fail in a cascade of more and more problems over the first month until it was completely useless.  Bear in mind I was installing malware and my files, and it took me a while to realize just how crummy this machine is.  It came with MS Office Pro installed, so I've lost that too.  I think the hard drive was corrupted when I unpacked it.  It took me a while to discover all the details.  Fom the onset, two USB ports didn't work, the fan sometimes made a buzzing noise, and the battery didn't charge; so the issues were not solely software related.  I contacted New Egg and they passed the buck to Atlanta Electronics, who was equally unresponsive.  Neither wanted to take responsibility.  This is American capitalism at work.  They had my money.  Apparently the bad USB ports are soldered into the mother board, so replacing them would be difficult.  Atlanta Electronics LLC should be tarred and feathered and put out of business for shipping this lemon out of their shop.  I don't feel much better about New Egg. 

I hope people will think twice about doing businss with either.

HP Recommended

Unfortunately, I don't have your model notebook, so I don't know what the menu looks like.

When you hit the F9 key on all of my HP business notebooks (Elitebooks), there are no advanced boot options, just a list of bootable devices.

HP Recommended

Yes, that is the case.  I chose the CD/DVD player and received additional options, and that is where I think I can access the BIOS.  The model was specified in the intro.  It's an 8460p

HP Recommended

So, when you select the DVD drive, the PC won't boot from the drive, and instead gives you more options to select from?

And you can't do that because the BIOS is password protected?

I don't have your model, and there is no documentation regarding the various BIOS settings or menus.

On mine, I select the DVD drive and it boots right from the drive without further ado.

You will need to contact HP technical support as I wrote earlier, and have them send you that BIOS file which should allow you to clear the P/W.

Sounds like you got a real raw deal there.

HP Recommended

Again, I do not recall how I got to the BIOS and discovered I needed the admin password.  When I hit F8 I get to two options.  One is to fix the HD.  The other is to proceed with the boot up.  I've done both, to no avail.  As specified in the initial query, it loads files from the CD and then I get the blue 'happy' screen that looks like it's in safe mode, but no toolbar, no nothing.  Just the annoying message 'Setup is starting' and then nothing happens.  It doesn't boot.  It sits there with the 'Setup is starting' message and that's it....

I called HP and they want $40 to send me the file you suggested.  It seems the corporate mentality has corrupted common sense.  I'm grateful you are trying to help, Paul thank you.   The laptop is out of warranty, and New Egg is deaf 'n dumb.  Any further suggestions...?  thank you.

HP Recommended

Again, it's an EliteBook 8460p

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Sorry I wasn't able to help you out on this one. 

Unfortunately, I don't have any other suggestions for you to try.

I've never heard of any forum member being charged for that file by HP...in or out of warranty.

I wonder if that is a new policy.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.