cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Fix HP Printer issue in macOS

A [software component] will damage your computer message displays when printing or while installing - Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Fix HP Printer issue in macOS

A [software component] will damage your computer message displays when printing or while installing - Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
3 1 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post

Solved!

HDD Self Test - #1 - 04 Fail

HP Recommended

Hi,
 I have Pavilion dv9000 series (dv9040eu), suddenly i get the BSODs with unable to mount volume message, so i run Hard disk self test, which returned: #1 -04 Fail

what does this error mean?

is there any place where I can read error explanations, related to HDD Self Test?

I have tried running chkdsk /r  but it stops saying  "an unspecified error occurred", also i managed to get the most important files out, with "BartPe" and "GetDataBack" 

Starting Recovery console also leads to the BSOD with message unmountable_boot_image..

Any suggestions? 

Big Thanks in advance..

Message Edited by Crabby on 01-05-2009 08:39 AM
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Level 12
4,535 4,502 384 1,081
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended
It means you've got a hardware failure.  There is no way to repair the drive, you'll have to get a replacement hard drive and then use recovery  media to reinstall your Operating System/Drivers.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
3 1 0 0
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Ohh, thought so.. 😞

one more question - if I order HDD from HP will it come with Recovery partition?, I have no installation media... on the other hand, we can always use torrents 🙂
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 4
148 148 6 38
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended
No, a drive will be empty but if you sent them the whole laptop then they put the drive in, they might then be able to do this but I would expect it to be less expensive to just order the recovery DVDs too and DIY.  Since drives cost so much from HP, I recommend getting only the recovery DVDs from them and purchasing the drive elsewhere.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 1 0 0
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended
 Hi i got a zd8000 from a friend not working but powers up.. HD broke inside when he had it he just went out and got a new computer...  so just for the hell of it.. i put in my HD from my dell to see i if i can boot it up the zd8000.. the computer sat there with an black screen loke it was trying to load.. so i went to bios and ran a HD test and got the 1-04 fail.. i know the HD works becouse i am using the computer now that the HD is from so with that could the MB be bad. becouse i will buy a NEW HD but dont want to replace the MB...... and ideas thanks
0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation