Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
alaenya Honor Student
Honor Student
3 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HDD replacement in warranty

HP Probook 470 G2
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

I had a failing hard drive that was replaced in warranty just a couple of days ago. However the hard drive that was installed on my computer is not a new one - CrystalDiskInfo reports it has been turned on 450 times. Is that a normal policy to send refurbished hardware as replacements? 

Also, I've noticed the hard drive does an unfamiliar clicking sound when being used. (and since it's the same hard drive as I've had before, I assume the usual working sound should be the same, which it isn't)

Check disk and CrystalDiskInfo don't show any errors though, so I'm not sure if it's a bad sign or not? I will definitely take it to the authorized repair shop that did the HDD replacement but I still thought I'd ask here.

Thanks in advance.

5 REPLIES
Teacher
Teacher
137 3 7
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello alaenya,

I also think it's a good job that you should bring the laptop to a PC company authorized by HP to make the tests. What do you mean by “the same drive I've had before”? If the drive has been failing and has been removed by the repair company probably they have put another one and not the same drive. You have to contact them for further information. Depending on the noise that you hear you must or must not be worried. Some laptop fans are noisier that others so you must make sure that the noise is coming out from the fan or the hard drive. If the HDD is making a clicking noise this is not a good sign and may indicate that the drive has or will have potentional issues in the recent future.

Good luck.

Western Digital representative
0 Kudos
alaenya Honor Student
Honor Student
3 0 0
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I meant same model, not the same HDD. 

I googled a lot and from that I'd say it's the "head parking" click; it's irregular and usually when the HDD light isn't on, during idle moments. Oddly it also starts only after it's been on for at least 5 minutes, until then it's perfectly silent. 

Anyway, I brought it to the repair shop but they're rather useless. The guy said he doesn't hear anything but he had radio on and generally didn't care much, only said he can order me another HDD if I want. I'm still not sure if to go through with it or not, for all I know HP could send me even older hard drive with worse problems... 

I'd really need someone from HP to reply to this :/

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
36056 5403 9255
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

This is an end user Forum for communication among customers. HP only sometimes monitors and rarely gets directly involved here. If you are having a problem with a warranty replacement you need to contact HP the same way you arranged for the original service. 

Teacher
Teacher
137 3 7
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi again,

I think Huffer has the point, alaenya – you should directly contact the HP by phone or by raising a ticket in their system in order to obtain a prompt answer.

Regarding the same HDD – that's what I thought. ;) I guess, the guy from the company has put a refurbished HDD, but in order to make sure that the drive is the problem, you have to test it on another PC to see will it be presenting the same issues. There could be a motherboard failure too.

That's why I'm sticking on my previous post that you should bring the lappy to a professional PC repair company authorized by HP to make the tests and not “the guy in the basement”.

Good luck. Tell us what happened afterwords.

Western Digital representative
0 Kudos
alaenya Honor Student
Honor Student
3 0 0
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for replies guys ^^

I've contacted HP and yes, they are sending out used parts so I guess I'll just have to try my luck a couple of times before I get a good HDD... or buy my own xD

I doubt anything else than the HDD is a problem since both of the problems I've had with them are completely different - one had bad sectors while the other is recognized as healthy but still has the ticking issue, so let's hope the third one will be fine. But either way I'm not reinstalling everything for the 4th time so I guess I'll just stick with it and back up diligently xDD

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation