Ask questions. Help others.
The HP Community is here for you.
Post new question
Question

Note on archived topics.
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here, or click on "Post new question" above and select the appropriate board.
Student
Message 1 of 7 (2,207 Views)

HDX18 Wlan with a mind of it's own

my Hdx18's touch sensitive wlan switch turns itself on and off without being touched.  I bought this computer for online gaming so this problem is incredibly annoying.  Whenever the wlan switch starts going haywire so does the other touch sensitive buttons like the volume panel.

Ive tried updating my network drivers and my bios but the problem persists.

If anyone can help me youd be a real lifesaver

0 Kudos
Student
Message 2 of 7 (2,069 Views)

Re: HDX18 Wlan with a mind of it's own

I'm having similar issues. Over the last month it's gotten worse. What is more irritating to me is that the bass or Treble will will fluctuate (which ever is selected). Sometime for up to 5-6 minutes at a time. I also have the issue where the WLAN will turn on and off. I hope it's something that can be corrected.
Honor Student
Message 3 of 7 (2,034 Views)

ok, whats the solution for this

Student
Message 4 of 7 (2,010 Views)

its actually not so much of a fix but it does get rid of the problem but of course you have to do this for everytime you start up or restart your computer:

as soon as you log onto your account and everything has loaded, close all programmes and open up the task manager

(ctrl+alt+delete)

For windows vista its simply a case of catching it at the right time, put your cursor over the 'end task' button and try to get the tone control to flash by using the touch pad, as soon as it comes up in the task menu of the manager click on 'end task', but you have to be quick, afterwards it wont bother you.

For windows 7 its even easier, just open the task manager again, go to processes and end the process called HpToneCtrl, works like a charm.

It seems the computer learns from its mistakes aswell, i've had the problem for a year, started the end task solution about 8 months ago and now it doesnt show up at al, clever little things

Honor Student
Message 5 of 7 (1,966 Views)

i had the same problem and I called in and tech support walked me through an update. seems to solve most of the problem.

it fixed the quick launch buttons my not my wlan problems.

My big problem now is my internet connection is inconsistent, keeps dropping every 5 minutes. seem better at home, but at the office its terrible.  called tech support and they walked me through a update to my bios etc..but problem is still the same.

really regretting purchasing an HP ( had to change my hard drive, and now the internet ..had the laptop for only 4 months)

Student
Message 6 of 7 (1,176 Views)

Bios update ...

Regents Professor
Message 7 of 7 (1,172 Views)

Here's the solution, but it involves taking your laptop apart to some degree. It's a design flaw in the HDX and dv8 machines.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Lockups-Freezes-Hangs/Problem-with-Pavilion-dv8-top-slider-bar...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation