cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
JamIT1
Level 1
4 3 0 4
Message 1 of 14
Flag Post

HP 15-D004AU RAM Upgrade

HP Recommended

Hi

I recently purchased the HP 15-D004AU, this notebook ships with a 4GB DIMM installed and according to specs it has 2 x User accessible Slots.

On opening the bottom cover I can see only one DIMM Slot which is populated with a 4GB DIMM.

The issue I have is, where is the second slot??

Thanks

JamIT1

13 REPLIES 13
banhien
Level 19
Level 19
94,920 93,577 12,295 26,136
Message 2 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

Have you checked underneath of the first module ? Many laptops now only have 1 slot but two modules, one on the top of the other. But sased on the first manual of the following link, some models only have one module:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/manualCategory?cc=us&lc=en&product=6622204

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

>
Was this reply helpful? Yes No
JamIT1
Author
Level 1
4 3 0 4
Message 3 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

So effectively there is only 1 slot in this laptop when it is advertised as having 2?

Not thoroughly loving HP right now!

banhien
Level 19
Level 19
Message 4 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

Have you read page #61 of the book ? It says: "NOTE: Bay Trail models support only one memory module."  Your machine uses "AMD A6-5200 (2.0 GHz, 2 MB cache, 25W" CPU which is not a Bay Trail CPU therefore it should have 2 modules of RAM. Again, have you checked underneath of the first RAM stick ? I saw JB HiFi has a sale now for this model. I may come over their stores to have a look.

Regards.

BH
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

>
JamIT1
Author
Level 1
4 3 0 4
Message 5 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I've removed the module that is installed and there is no second slot underneath,

banhien
Level 19
Level 19
Message 6 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

Now to make sure your machine has one ot two slot, please download the following program the check Memory tab and also SPD tab to see how many slot on your computer:

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html

Note: check the link at the right hand side, do not click to the other links.

Regards.

BH

>
JamIT1
Author
Level 1
4 3 0 4
Message 7 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Now this is weird. I ran the CPU program and it shows slot # 1 as empty and Slot # 2 as populated with 4GB.

So where is slot # 1?

emma2223
4 4 0 1
Message 8 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

hi just wondering if you worked it out i am now having the same problem i even rang hp and they told me i can upgrade to 16gb but not without a full upgrade .....8gb is a perfect size he said and said there is two slots i opened it and only found i even removed the 4gb stick and the is only room for one im kinda getting desperate lol i want to play a new game and it isnt going to work without a ram upgrade 

emma2223
4 4 0 1
Message 9 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

*********update ******

supposedly they are all wrong and it only can take 8GB how the %$#^& can people make things and not know what in them seriously i make a cake or a chair or a garden i still know whats in it and how it works kudos hp for your inconsistency with you no so great products 

here is the ram you can upgrade with all you have to do is take off the tiny cover at the back "marked with ram symbol" unclip and enjoy 

http://www.upgradeable.com.au/hp-compaq/hp-15-d004au.html

DO NOT AUTOMATICLY UPDATE WINDOWS 

Morelaughs
4 4 0 0
Message 10 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have gone to three computer shops in order to upgrade the memory by adding another 4Gb SODIMM, so that the memory becomes 8GB (4Gb x2).

THe staff at the shops opened the memory compartment and there is only 1 slot. Please see the pic. below.

HP-D006-HP-Only-1-mem-slot.png

The staff also took out the memory module to see if it was underneath, but nada..not a sausage.

When we went through the HP diagnositics, by pressing the 'esc' key at boot time, then F2, And checked the memory config it shows a 'Slot 1 (top) and a "not installed" for Slot 2. See pic below:HP D006-AU-Diag-Mem.png

However, as I said, when we check the laptop there is only one slot. So, if we upgrade to one 8GB SODIMM, what do we do with the 4GB SODIMM that we take out?.:smileysad:

ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation