Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
6 4 0 0
Message 1 of 11
Flag Post

HP-15 f111dx Upgrades

HP Recommended
HP-15 f111dx
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

I recently purchased this product from Best Buy and will be using it for gaming purposes. What hardware and softwrare upgrades can I purchase and add-on to increase the performance for gaming (specifically used for GTA 5)?

Here is the link to the product specifications. http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04497708

-Turbocore?

-GPU?

-Additional 8GB RAM?

Any/all information is greatly appreciated, thank you!  

0 Kudos
10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
Level 17
Level 17
42,768 42,557 6,799 11,874
Message 2 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Man I hate to answer these types of questions because I cannot make you happy.

Here are the minimum specs for GTA5:

http://www.game-debate.com/games/index.php?g_id=1308&game=Grand%20Theft%20Auto%20V

This is a demanding game requiring at least upper-middle range graphics and processing power.

Your laptop has a decent-for-a-laptop graphics chip but it is contained in the processor.  It is at best upper-low-end. There is no place in the structure of the laptop to add any other graphics hardware. Your question is kind of like asking if you can add a video card to an iPhone...no, where would you put it?

There are other versions of your laptop model with slightly better graphics but to get those it would take a motherboard swap which would cost as much as you paid for the whole laptop. And even then, it would fall short of the power to play GTA5. You need a pure gaming laptop like the HP Omen or build a gaming desktop to play cutting edge games. Again, sorry to be the bearer, but don't shoot the messenger. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

Highlighted
Author
6 4 0 0
Message 3 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you for the honesty and the real-time feedback. 

Is there any way I can add turbocore to the laptop to have the processor performing at 2.4 ghz (not sure how much of a difference this will make)?The speed is at a constant 2.00 ghz or less. 

Can I swap out the entire processor and add an upgraded one? Are there any models you would recommend? Is there a list of products that would fit? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 17
Level 17
Message 4 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Turboboost is working it is like trying to snatch a fly out of the air to see it but there is an Intel Turboboost monitor you can install and it will show when it kicks in...like during a game. It all happens in a nanosecond.

http://www.techspot.com/downloads/4947-intel-turbo-boost-technology-monitor.html

The processor is attached to the motherboard so swapping processors would also require a new motherboard. And the processor is not the issue it is the graphics chip. Your processor is plenty powerful. 

As stated, the HP Omen would play GTA5, but it is $1500 at the entry point rising to nearly $2000 and that is the price point for true gaming laptops if not $3000. You can build a desktop that will meet the specs for maybe $900 if you are careful and shop the sales on newegg and tiget direct. 

http://store.hp.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/us/en/pdp/Laptops/hp-omen---15t---touch-laptop-j2w39av...

Highlighted
Author
6 4 0 0
Message 5 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

What if I were to add another 8 GB via user memory slot? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 17
Level 17
Message 6 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Here is the Service Manual:

Manual

The memory specs are a bit confusing. It says it has 2 slots but then says 8 gigs is the max. I suspect it will run 16 gigs but I am not in a position to guarantee that. Memory installation is on page 31 and I would open up the memory cover and be sure there is an open slot before I bought any more. 

8 gigs to 16 gigs is an upgrade that not very many people really need to do. If you are doing heavy video or photo editing, compiling source code or running virtual machines it might be useful. For gaming it would have a very small, almost imperceptible effect. 8 gigs is plenty for gaming in other words and the extra 8 would hardly ever be used. 

Again, I am sorry for this information.

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

Highlighted
Author
6 4 0 0
Message 7 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you for the reference, I will add the 8GB as I plan on keeping this laptop for sometime. 

Is there any way that I could install the AMD A10 or the A8 7600 series APU into this case? 

General: 

I have recently purchased this computer and would like to make any/all adjustments that are possible for best gaming performance without purchasing a new computer (cost is not a factor). What are the possibilities?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 17
Level 17
Message 8 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have linked you to the Service Manual. It shows that the A8-6410 is the top processor/APU system available. That processor is soldered to the motherboard. It cannot be removed or upgraded and it is the best processor available for that laptop chassis. You already have the very best gaming performance you are going to get out of that machine. It is not a matter of cost, but physical impossibility to do any upgrades to the video system and make games run any better. You could improve the general performance (startup time, program opening file transfer) but not gaming with a solid state drive. 500 gig SSDs are about $225 now. With 16 gigs of RAM (assuming that is possible) and an SSD you will have the best laptop of that model it is possible to have. If money is truly no object, cut your losses and buy a different laptop. Best Buy allows return for 14 days with a 15% restock charge I think. 

Highlighted
Author
6 4 0 0
Message 9 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Just a couple of additional questions...

If you could please recommend and link a page on amazon of a 4GB DDR3 RAM stick that would be compatible? 

What games could you recommend that would play smoothly on this platform? 

Thank you for the comprehensive support and for the information. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 1 0 0
Message 10 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended
I just added another 4 gigs of ram to my laptop today and is way faster. I also have a ssd in my laptop. I have the same laptop as you and I am able to run brand new games like black ops 3 and assassins creed unity with other applications like chrome and spotify running with them at medium graphics with no lag.
0 Kudos
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation