cancel

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Trippy86 Tutor
Tutor
14 8 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP 250 G4 hard drive failure lost recovery

HP 250 G4
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
Hi

I have a HP 250 G4 where the hard drive had failed. I have bought a brand new identical brand and size hard drive.

Problem is I have no recovery partition or media. Am I able to get any media to help restore this laptop?

Thanks so much
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
Provost Provost
Provost
41,098 39,574 6,155 10,680
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Absolutely if you had Windows 10 installed and activated on it you can simply download Windows 10 from the Microsoft Media Creation Tool...select the option to create media for installation on another computer (obviously you have to do this on a computer other than the laptop) and you can choose to burn a Windows 10 DVD or thumb drive for installation. Drivers and some of the original software is available at this site.

Is the old drive completely dead or does it work to some extent? All the original drivers and preloaded software is on the old drive (or was until it died). 

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Windows 10 will automatically activate the first time you connect to the internet. If you come to a place that asks for a Key Code just click the button that says "not now" or something like that.

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

Provost Provost
Provost
18,542 16,501 1,536 3,666
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Trippy86

Hello;

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

Ordinarily, I would recommend using HP Recovery Media to restore your PC to its original condition. That would erase the entire drive, format the drive, and install the OS, the drivers, and the HP utilities.

Unfortunately, there is no HP Recovery Media linked to the HP Product Page for your PC. This could be an oversight by HP, or it could also mean that HP no longer stocks the recovery media for your PC.

You can try contacting HP Customer Support directly, using the links below, to see if you can order if from them:

If you live in the US or Canada, contact information is on this page: http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/phone-assist.html#section1

If you live elsewhere, contact information is on this page: http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/ww-contact-us.html

NOTE: After you get through, stay on the line until you are finally able to talk to some one -- it can take a while!

If you have trouble finding a phone number, then try: 1 (800) 474-6836

---------------------------------------
However, HP Customer Support is generally not available on the weekends, so you might have to wait until Monday to contact them.
---------------------------------------

Good Luck

***If my post helped, click the White thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
Master's Graduate
Master's Graduate
320 307 65 108
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

If this laptop originally brought Windows 7 or 8.1 and then upgraded to 10, you can download the appropriate ISO for example Windows 10 Pro 64 bit and do a clean installation (when you display the dialog enter the product key select skip), the first time you connect to the internet will be activated

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

0 Kudos
Trippy86 Tutor
Tutor
14 8 0 0
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

it originally came with windows 10 pre installed, and the laptop was only purchased 6 months ago

I would love to do what WAWood sugessted,  use HP Recovery Media to restore your PC to its original condition

i have all the serial details on the bottom of the laptop, whats the fastest way i can get the  HP Recovery Media?

thanks for the help

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation