Having trouble signing in? Try this!
Ask questions. Help others.
The HP Community is here for you.
Post new question
Question

Note on archived topics.
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here, or click on "Post new question" above and select the appropriate board.
Student
Message 1 of 2 (909 Views)

HP 255 G3 notebook pc will not turn on

Product Name: HP 255 G3 notebook PC
Operating System: Windows 7

I bought a new HP laptop two days ago and since then I have not been able to turn it on.

I press the power button, the laptop turns on and then it goes to a black screen with a C:/>_ in the upper left hand corner. (The _ is blinking)

It might not be booting as it goes to the "boot menu" counts down to one from ten and then leads me to a black and wite screen where it gives me two options: 

1- Load FreeDOS including HIMEM XMS-memory driver

2- Load FreeDOS without drivers 

No matter which one I pick out both then lead me to the black screen with the C:/>_ in the upper left hand corner. 

I have tried what I belive to be everything but nothing works.

I just do not understand how a brand new computer-right out the box-won't turn on. 

0 Kudos
Associate Dean
Message 2 of 2 (894 Views)

Re: HP 255 G3 notebook pc will not turn on

sofiavuckovic wrote:

I bought a new HP laptop two days ago and since then I have not been able to turn it on.

I press the power button, the laptop turns on and then it goes to a black screen with a C:/>_ in the upper left hand corner. (The _ is blinking)

It might not be booting as it goes to the "boot menu" counts down to one from ten and then leads me to a black and wite screen where it gives me two options: 

1- Load FreeDOS including HIMEM XMS-memory driver

2- Load FreeDOS without drivers 

No matter which one I pick out both then lead me to the black screen with the C:/>_ in the upper left hand corner. 

I have tried what I belive to be everything but nothing works.

I just do not understand how a brand new computer-right out the box-won't turn on. 

If bought new then this falls under warranty repairs... you need to contact HP warranty support to fix this problem.

-------- Looking for HP driver support When Windows 10 O/S isn't Supported ------
Windows 10 drivers may be available through Windows Update

Click 'Learn More' below for steps on using Windows Update to determine what drivers might be available for your product. Please be aware that HP does not guarantee Windows 10 drivers will be available from Windows Update.
Learn more
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- This is a HP USER community forum.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
BTW, Millions of folks have gone back from Win10 to their prior O/S -- something you don't hear about from MS. by WAWood but ALL to TRUE
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Those that want HD Gaming should plan to invest in a Gaming Laptop to handle those requirements. Eamples GTA V or Crysis 3.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation