cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
ric_coupe
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

HP 2570p Laptop won't start

HP Recommended
Elitebook 2570p
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hi guys. I’m a long-time lurker of this site, but after searching for many months, I haven’t found any fix to my problem so have decided to join and post it as I’m at my wit’s end.

I have two HP Elitebook 2570p laptops, one an i5, and one an i7. They were bought second-hand and are long since out of warranty. They were both working very well, but failed on the same day with the same issue many months ago, and I don’t know how to repair them.

As soon as the PSU power lead is connected, or the battery is inserted, the Power LED contained within the laptop on/off switch is permanently lit. In addition, the four lights at the front left edge of the laptop display the following –
Wi-Fi light – off
Power light – permanently on
Charging light – alternates between white and amber
Hard disk activity light – off
Pressing the power switch does nothing. The fan doesn’t spin, and the laptop makes no attempt to boot.
I have tried with numerous power supplys, with the battery present, and not present, and cleared the CMOS, all to no avail.
The only possible hardware fault I have managed to identify concerns the ribbon cable that connects the buttons for the Wi-Fi, Internet access, and Mute located at the top right at the keyboard.
Some “random shorting” between these connectors allows the laptop to boot and work without any issues. However next time I come to use the laptop, it’s completely unresponsive again and I have to remove the keyboard and “short out” these connectors again to use it which isn’t really ideal. This “fix” works on both the i5 & i7 model.
Disconnecting this ribbon cable makes no difference. The laptops are still “dead” until some of the connecters are “shorted”.
I’d really like to continue to use these laptops as they were very good laptops before this problem arose so I’d really appreciate your thoughts on this issue please.

Hoping somebody can help. Many thanks.

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
ric_coupe
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Any thoughts guys ?

Is there perhaps an HP Hardware forum I should be posting this on ?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
ric_coupe
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Any suggestions ?

It's a shame not to be able to use these.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
thawzinaung
3 1 0 0
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Now!I was these problem too.
How u repaired that?
0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation