cancel

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Jessicajil Tutor
Tutor
14 11 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP 56 very noisy fan and overheating.

The notebook is about 6 months old. It has always had a noisy fan compared with other laptop/notebooks i.e. much louder than my daughter's Acer or her partners Mac book. In addition it is running increasingly hot, b;owing  hot air out. I do not wish to take the machine apart as it is still under warrenty.  Should I send it to have a replacement fan fitted?

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
Provost Provost
Provost
39337 39152 6064 10553
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The fan is not the problem or it would not blow at all. Without voiding the warranty about all you can do is blow compressed air into the vents or put a vacuum up agains the vents as the laptop is running. It may need a good cleanout inside even after 6 mos.

0 Kudos
Jessicajil Tutor
Tutor
14 11 0 0
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you for your reply. This has always been a noisy machine compared with other laptops I have had, which makes it unpleasant to use, and a relief to turn off (and that it with realtively ancient ears!). I normally blow air through about once a month to keep my computers clear of dust., and did so yesterday  I must say the experience my daughter and I have had  with HP machines (2 laptops and a modern printer) has made me very wary of getting another one.  I had an early (1990s) all singing and dancing printer scanner from HP which was excellent, and so was the after-care in that a roller-cleaner arrived even though I had not at that point had trouble with my rollers.  This made me think HP was a good brand and one to trust, but I no longer feel like that.  Quite apart from the design (very heavy synaptics pad, noisy fan etc) there is the awful HP software bundled with them which you don't know if you can remove or have leave in place.   It would really help if they indicated which software was essential and which you could switch on or off as you wish.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Provost Provost
Provost
39337 39152 6064 10553
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Well technically all the HP stuff is optional. The computer will run fine and maybe even better without it. When I get a new laptop I always format it and load the operating system myself. Most recent HP models even have that option in the recovery (F11) routine...you have the option of installing OS only. You can also just run a free program called pc decrapifier (I kid you not) and remove anything with "HP" at the beginning.

Jessicajil Tutor
Tutor
14 11 0 0
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Now that is very useful!  Thank you very much!  

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation