Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

HP 8510p laptop won't power uplighting bolt light blinks six times and off. 

Blank/black screen, fan/disk not moving. Nothing happen other than the light blinks and off. 

Same problem for battery powered; battery + power adaptor or power adaptor only.

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Hello tianhuat. I understand you're having some problems getting your notebook to power up. Try the following.

1. Remove the battery and AC power from the notebook.
  2. Press and hold the power button for 20-30 seconds. This discharges the capacitors on the motherboard.
  3. Replace battery and AC power.
  4. Try to boot the notebook and post the result.

Are you also getting a blinking CAPS LOCK or NUM LOCK pattern?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please click the white star under my name to give me Kudos as a way to say "Thanks!"

Click the "Accept as Solution" button if I resolve your issue.

HP Recommended

Hi,

I have done it a few times, the result is still the same. 

When power on, only power light is up, follows by 6 brinks on the battery changing light and it power off. 

No other light.

I know about the CAP LOCK / NUM LOCK pattern, but no, no light at all on them.

HP Recommended
The lightning bolt blinking (power/charging light) is an error which refers to the battery not having sufficient charge to power the notebook. Does the power supply have any sort of LED on it? If so, what is the color?

It would seems as though the battery can not charge. This could be because the battery itself has reached a point in which the capacitors can no longer hold the charge or the AC adapter isn't working properly.

Let me know about the adapter and I will help you continue from there.

Have a great day!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please click the white star under my name to give me Kudos as a way to say "Thanks!"

HP Recommended

I have other HP machine and the same power brick works fine for sure. I swap them too.

Maybe the battery is dead but shouldn't it power up without attaching the battery? 

Same problem with or without battery attached. 

HP Recommended
Alright, so the adapter does light up. That red LED color can sometimes indicate a problem. I'd like you to go over the steps in this document since you have another power cord. This will help narrow it down. Let me know the results and you and I will go from there.

Have a great day!

HP Recommended

Same thing. The power brick is confirmed working.

Battery connect or not... after power on, the ligthing light blink adn machine off.

HP Recommended
It sounds like it likely has a short, likely on the motherboard. This notebook would need to be repaired.

If you wanted you could contact HP Support directly. For US/Canadian customers the phone number is 1-800-474-6836. If you're located outside of this area you'd need to visit HP Support Worldwide to get your region's contact information.

I hope you have a great day tianhaut!

HP Recommended

I have a same problem. Any idea where to order good-priced replacement motherboards?

Best regards,

Mediha

HP Recommended
Hello Mediha,

You are using a business/commercial computer but you posted on the consumer board. To get more coverage so you can get the proper assistance please post your issue on the this forum. The experts there work specifically with the Compaq'sand will be able to assist you. Also it is possible that you may have to create a new profile prior to posting.

Hopefully everything works out for you.

Thanks

Clicking the White Kudos star on the left is a way to say Thanks!

Clicking the 'Accept as Solution' button is a way to let others know which steps helped solve the problem!
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.