Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post

HP 8540 elite notebook black screen

HP Recommended

Hi,

for some reason my notebook gives a black screen after i logged in. I can get to the users screen.

Then I log in to my user and after that the screen turns black. All the lights are on and the rest seems

to be working. I can get to the startup setup so I can get to the bios but I dont know what to do there.

Can anyone help me?

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Level 7
1,328 1,318 43 177
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Can you boot into safe mode?  Does this carry over to an external monitor as well?

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

• I Love Kudos! If you feel my post has helped you please click the White Kudos! Star just below my name
  • If you feel my answer has fixed your problem please click 'Mark As Solution' and make it easier for others to find help quickly

• 0 Kudos
    Highlighted
    Author
    2 1 0 0
    Message 3 of 5
    Flag Post
    HP Recommended

Yea I can boot in safe mode. I haven't tried external monitor yet. Don't even know how to do that.

I start in in diagnostic startup now and that works. But it doens't if I start it normally.

0 Kudos
    Highlighted
    Level 7
    1,328 1,318 43 177
    Message 4 of 5
    Flag Post
    HP Recommended

Boot into safe mode and start with the basics, a virus check, malware check, and then a check disk here's a guide from Microsoft to do that:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Check-your-hard-disk-for-errors

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

• I Love Kudos! If you feel my post has helped you please click the White Kudos! Star just below my name
  • If you feel my answer has fixed your problem please click 'Mark As Solution' and make it easier for others to find help quickly

• 0 Kudos
    Highlighted
    Level 3
    40 28 0 4
    Message 5 of 5
    Flag Post
    HP Recommended

seems like I had this issue once but I am unsure what I did about it.

try installing a newer video driver.

FYI - nVidia solved a DPC latency issue for me via HP in a driver 261.28 which was suppose to have been released on the HP site by now. I'm not sure it has. Up till I got it I was using the last one on nVidia site  260.99 (I think)..

0 Kudos
    This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
    † The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation