cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
PriitJ
6 4 0 0
Message 1 of 8
Flag Post

Solved!

HP 8760w startup problem

HP Recommended

I have a problem with my HP 8760w, Windows 7 x64.  It will be a long description.   

Sometimes, at startup when fan blows strongly (i think that all comuters do so, please correct me if i am wrong), my laptop suddenly shuts down.  when I attempt startup again, then an error message, saying that the computer was shut down due to the reason that the ventilation openings were detected to be closed (they were not). Then, I press enter and startup continues normally. Fan blows a bit harder for a couple of seconds, Windows loads very well, computer starts and works normally, with almost no fan noise, all openings are as they were at startup when computer taught that the openings are closed.  When I do restart - then everything is OK. Now when computer is shut down and restarted after some hours, then this same cycle starts again. At first startup - holes closed, then after second everything OK. Until next startup when computer has been shut down for a while and is cooled down.  

HP support has changed my fan 2 times, but everything continues. When startig cold computer the fan starts to blow very strongly and the computer shuts down.  Btw i recieved my laptop from HP support today and in their office the laptop started very well. But afteraproximately 8 hours, when i wanted to start the computer, I had 3 errors (mentioned above), after which the computer started and has been working (and restarting) very well . Is it possible that there is an issue with fan settings or sensors?

0 Kudos
Tags (2)
7 REPLIES 7
roymeboy
Level 4
118 118 6 7
Message 2 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Doesn't sound the best support if they haven't followed this through to conclusion.
I would of said the errors above were indicative of a motherboard fault, not a fan fault. Fans usually stop spinning at all and the bios reports a fan failure if anything, Haven't seen a faulty fan report closed ventilation openings, never seen this error.

If they have replaced 2 fans for this and haven't given you any explanation as to what is going on, I would say, go somewhere else. I would have changed 1 fan max, if it still happens, it aint the fan, and the only other part it can be then is motherboard. To be honest though, I wouldn't of even looked at the fan as a potential source of this problem, it doesn't sound like it at all.
0 Kudos
PriitJ
Author
6 4 0 0
Message 3 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Now I discovered that when in sleep mode or hybernating (I dont remember which it was) is this error also possible. Computer was quietly on table sleeping (or hypernating) then suddenly fan swirched on and after a couple of seconds the computer shut down. When restarting from the button, the same error appeared on white background: openings closed temperature error .....

My local HP support/maintenance gave me a notice that they are consulting with HP about the problem.

0 Kudos
roymeboy
Level 4
118 118 6 7
Message 4 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

If it was in sleep mode, this is probably just the standard Windows power options. Its set to sleep for a time, then go into hibernate. When it does this, the machine wakes for a few seconds. Dumps the contents of memory onto the hard drive then switches off (hibernates).

So the error appears to happen from a hibernate.

Have you tried a fresh copy of windows? I'd stress this as a likely answer too as that error, I'm telling ya, that's no windows error. That's I'm guessing an HP support assistant error, in which case could just be a bug that will cause no problem to the machine without the software installed.

Seriously though, your local HP support sucks, consulting with HP? Just take the **bleep** machine, see whats wrong with it as an engineer, no need to consult with HP on a few years old machine, any known fault would have come out of the woodwork. If its not software then its a motherboard fault, plain and simple.

EDIT: I don't remember saying bleep, lol. It wasn't a strong swear word guys I promise

0 Kudos
PriitJ
Author
6 4 0 0
Message 5 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have installed windows several times, nothing changed wether with sp0. sp1, with or without reccomended updates. I think that there is  some faulty sensor somewhere. Now i will get new motherboard, I hope that this solves the problem.

0 Kudos
roymeboy
Level 4
118 118 6 7
Message 6 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended
I'm not convinced. Please post a picture of the error. If its through hp support software, just uninstall the software. Most value added applications from all manufacturers aren't worth anything and often just hog resources that aren't necessary.

I've never seen or heard of this error or anything similar in over 20 years of using every version of windows since 3.1. So I'm almost positive this is not a windows error but an error caused by a third party software, most likely an hp piece of software. If we can check your machine over for heat issues and providing it's all good, and we can find out which piece of software is sending the message then we just uninstall it and forget about it
0 Kudos
roymeboy
Level 4
118 118 6 7
Message 7 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Ah hang on. I see. This is one of the hp bios errors isn't it that appear straight away before windows boots.
Right, in that case. 100%, and you can show this to this so called support staff of yours too. This is a motherboard fault, no doubt about it, no questions at all to check. 100%. Get them to swap the board and stop wasting your time by swapping more than one fan, complete waste of time and awful diagnosis.
They had the machine yet all you've done is describe it to me and the answer is plain as day
PriitJ
Author
6 4 0 0
Message 8 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Apologies for not replying long time. You were correct. The computer started working correctly after they eventually replaced the motherboard. Thanks you.

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation