Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
GJGerald Honor Student
Honor Student
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP AC adapter vs battery which one is wrong?

hp elitebook 8440w
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I have a mobile workstation HP elitebook 8440w with factory 9 cell battery and ac adapter+cord (US) type. I moved from US to India and had to use indian type power sockets. I used a Targus international power adapter (2 pin) which accomodates 3pin US power cord of ac adapter. It worked well for about 2 weeks without any problem. One day, I felt shock on my laptop. All over my laptop, including keyboard keys, palm rest, power button, back of monitor, and everywhere only when plugged in for charging (tested using tester). Not severe and not mild, its good enough to pull your fingers. Since I had no other internet options I had to use the laptop anyway...I wait for charging and unplug and use it. No shock if unplugged. But the battery doesnt get charge to 100%. It charges upto 75-76% and stop charging+when drains it switches off (not shut down) at 40-48% battery). First, I changed power cord to get an indian type pin (not the brick of ac adapter). It still does the same and I also noticed that the ac adapter brick gets heated before it stop charging. I feel it might be little too hot than usual (I dont have A/c only fan in my room)). A hp power assistant battery check shows battery is ok. I am able to use the system if it is charged above 50%. Is it a earth electricity issue? Or ac adapter issue? Please help.
I have gone through other threads in this forum but couldnt fix it. Thanks.
J.

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
GJGerald Honor Student
Honor Student
2 1 0 0
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP AC adapter vs battery which one is wrong?

Also when it stop charging, power do present at the tip of the ac adapter (the end used to plug in at laptop: tested using tester).
0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation