cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
6 5 0 0
Message 1 of 11
Flag Post

HP Advisor stopped working

HP Recommended

I have a HP Pavilion Laptop dv6000 and HP advisor stopped working. I loaded the link you have on your site, now it can't find d2d1.dll. Can you help?

0 Kudos
10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
Level 15
Level 15
27,591 27,351 2,420 8,913
Message 2 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Betty,

The HP Advisor is an older version of the Hp Support Assistant

The latest version of HPSA (6.x) has more features and is more stable than its predecessors.

You can find the latest version for your computer at this link:

HP Support Assistant

If you need to remove this version of HPSA later and reinstall it,

because it stops working and you want to reinstall it,

OR for any other reason, here are the instructions:

Control Panel > icon view > Programs and Features >

Scroll down, find, and Uninstall HP Support Assistant.

Restart your computer after uninstalling the existing version of Support Assistant.

I hope this helps!                                 

We work hard to help!

When ever you see a Helpful Post - Click the Kudos Star on the Left as Thanks!

Did this Post solve your problem?  Mark it “Accept as Solution”!

Note: You can find the “Accept as Solution” box on threads started by you.

2012 Year of the Dragon!

Dragon Tips:

HP Support Assistant FAQ

Dragon-Fur

Highlighted
Author
6 5 0 0
Message 3 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks, great solution. But now I have another issue, since installing, the register now dialog comes back consistently about ever 2/3 hours. I have tried everything to make to go away. I am registered with you for all of my products.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 15
Level 15
Message 4 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Betty,

HPSA is nice software.  Keep the link around in case you have to reinstall it.  Take time to look at the last page "Get Assistance" and the "Troubleshoot" page.  There is a lot to find and learn there!

Try this:

Call up (start) HP Support Assistant

Click Settings (lower left corner - spikey wheel) > General >

CHECK "No, I do not agree to send data to HP.  I do not want to check my warranty status."

Apply

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And, just because it's less irritating,

Click NO "Do you want to see a welcome Screen every time HP Support Assistant starts?"

Apply

• Restart your computer at some point to make sure it is all reset.

If that doesn't fix it, let me know.

I hope this helps!                                 

We work hard to help!

Whenever you see a Helpful Post - Click the Kudos Star on the Left as Thanks!

2012 Year of the Dragon!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dragon Tips:

IF you find that you have trouble with "Phantom" HP messages, that is,

Messages that pop up asking you if you want to install HP updates but the message box is "dead" -

there is no place to click OK, or Yes, or ... anything... the box hangs around... and hangs around...

THEN, do this:

Call up (start) HP Support Assistant

Click Settings (lower left corner - spikey wheel) > Go to the Notification Settings Tab

And, set the notifications to TaskBar ONLY

That should make the little pop ups go away. 

Dragon-Fur

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
6 5 0 0
Message 5 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you for your help, I had set the setting according to the first response but had not done a restart afterward. So did this and registration notice popped up immediately afterward. Second response regarding settings, I only have 3 tabs, Health Analysis, Tuneup and General. The version of the support assistant is 5.2.9.2 and the configuation file version is 2.1. Under Warranty and Services, I remove the check for yes and select no but when I go back to that page it has moved to yes again. Don't know if that if part of the problem.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 15
Level 15
Message 6 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Betty,

Rats - technical term...

HPSA 5.2.x is still an older version.  We really need you to be on 6.x if we can get you there...

What is your computer product number?

Locate the Notebook Product Number

Very important: 

• What is your Operating System?  Windows 7, Vista, XP?

I need that information so I can double check what is going on here...

I would LIKE to try and get you to a 6.x version of HP Support Assistant.  I am still thinking that since the little popup started exactly when you installed the HPSA that this is where the popup is coming from.

Keep that other (older version) download file of HPSA handy, just in case...

IF you are on Windows 7,

THEN continue HERE:

OK first step, remove HPSA 5.2.9.2

Control Panel > icon view > Programs and Features >

Scroll down, find, and Uninstall HP Support Assistant.

Restart your computer after uninstalling the existing version of Support Assistant.

Download and Install this file:

HP Support Assistant sp54620 V6.1.12.1

• Install the Software installation package:  If you have ‘Admin’ control, you may highlight the package(s) and “double-click” to install, else Right-Click, Select ‘run as Administrator’ and install.

If you are not on Windows 7....then I will check with HPSA support to see what is our next step.

I hope this helps!                                 

We work hard to help!

Whenever you see a Helpful Post - Click the Kudos Star on the Left as Thanks!

2012 Year of the Dragon!

Dragon-Fur

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
6 5 0 0
Message 7 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks, it's making me crazy. I uninstalled until we have a solution. Laptop is HP Pavilion Entertainment dv6000 running Vista.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
6 5 0 0
Message 8 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Sorry, P/N EZ796AV

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 15
Level 15
Message 9 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Betty,

I will ask about this..  It may be that we can run that 6.x version on your Vista system.

I am sorry to have raised your hopes and then infested you with an evil little popup.  Sad.

Thanks for your patience!

Oh.. Remove your serial number ... We just need the product number... Serial numbers are private.  Thanks!

Dragon-Fur

0 Kudos
Author
6 5 0 0
Message 10 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I tried what you suggested but it was always searching for the product info, so I uninstalled. I then decided to try the version recommended for Vista again. I have my fingers crossed, so far the registration dialog has not popped back up and all seems well. Wil report back in the next couple of days since it has just been reinstalled. Thanks

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation