cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
Level 2
23 21 0 6
Message 1 of 10
Flag Post

HP BIOS "update" broke my computer

HP Recommended

Dear HP,

Your BIOS update F.2E for the Pavilion dv6235nr Entertainment Notebook destroyed it.  I recently upgraded it to Windows 7 and wanted to apply the F.2E update to fix the "an incorrect message about replacing the battery during startup" error.  After your "update," the machine will no longer start.  It emits a very loud beeping sound but will not do anything else.

I don't care if it's "out of warranty."  There is ZERO justification for you offering a "BIOS update" that breaks computers.

You need to fix this.  I am seriously rethinking whether I want to buy anything HP ever again.  Please PM me or reply here.

Thanks,

A very disappointed former customer

9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Level 15
Level 15
23,305 22,970 2,661 9,217
Message 2 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended
BUV, according to the updates that are available, the only BIOS update is for Vista; not for Win7. Therefore, it appears that you may have updated the BIOS incorrectly. It is always good to read the information that comes with the updates to assure they are for your laptop and the OS that you are using.

Signature:
HP TouchPad - 1.2 GHz; 1 GB memory; 32 GB storage; WebOS/CyanogenMod 11(Kit Kat)

Custom build: Corsair 750D Airflow (Full Tower); MSI MEG Z390 ACE; i9-9900K processor (OC'd 5.025); Corsair H150i cooler; Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 memory ( 32 GB ); MSI RTX 2080 Gaming X Trio video card; MSI GH70 Immerse LED Headset; 3- Corsair QL140 RGB Fans w/Commander Pro and Lighting Node Core; Samsung 970 Pro 512 GB; Samsung 860 EVO 1 TB

HP Spectre 360 Convertible; i7-7560U; 16 GB memory; Intel® Iris™ Plus Graphics 640; 512 GB PCIe® NVMe™ M.2 SSD; 13.3" diagonal 4K UHD UWVA eDP BrightView WLED-backlit multitouch-enabled edge-to-edge glass (3840 x 2160); Windows 10 Pro 64 with Windows Ink

HP Photosmart 7855 AIO

**Click the Thumbs Up+ to say 'Thanks' and the 'Accept as Solution' if I have solved your problem.**

Intelligence is God given; Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!

I am not an HP employee.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 2
23 21 0 6
Message 3 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The BIOS update in question (F.2E) was created and offered to fix a Windows 7 problem.  Why I be using it with Vista?

It's unreasonable for HP to offer a Windows 7-specific BIOS update that cannot safely be used with Windows 7.  That is nothing more or less than sheer incompetence.

Highlighted
Level 1
4 6 0 2
Message 4 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hey i had the same thing happen actually i denied the windows 7 bios update and selected never.  3 days later it installed on the monday and busted my notebook. I contacted them and they still did not understand that it was there software that had the problem. I have set it to not never update. I am going to find out how to remove this crap since i now have my notebook back and they replaced the defective motherboard.... **bleep** is that? Anyhow good luck to you bud. I know it was a real test of keeping my cool when talking to the idiots in support.

Highlighted
1 1 0 1
Message 5 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Got the same. Have a HP Elitebook 8540p and the HP assist until did a diagnostics check and stated that I need to upgrade the bios, the utility downloaded automatically and prompted for a reboot manual or within 10 min.

I then rebooted my laptop going down fine but as soon as it tried booting up again it powers up and down continually with 3 second intervals no beeping from bios, no display to go into bios setup and no POST display.

The bios update defiantly broke my laptop no question about it!!! I have read many blogs to repair this problem but not one of them points to the same problem, a lot of them hear the beeping sound and some don’t.

I am so frustrated as this happened just before I got a standby call and need specific vendor applications to work with.

I have warned the rest of the staff not to use any of hp utilities or upgrades as this is definitely an issue that HP needs to resolve. HP needs to remove this bios updates from their site and stop any further access to download even from the HP assist utility.

I am still waiting on HP regarding my call as fortunately I have a 3 year warranty but still need to work.

Highlighted
Level 1
7 6 0 0
Message 6 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Ive had the same prob.

Got a pavilion dv6 and changed my windows to 7 and i had to download all the drivers from hp site.

All was going was till i got to the bios but now my lap top is now dead.

I trusted the hp site and now down to them my lap top is now a brick.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 1 0 0
Message 7 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I now join the disappointed rank of bios updated. 

The worst part was the technical service. After I was transferred 3 times, all I have is a request for a possibility to have my laptop fixed. 

One reps arguement to avoid blame was well you had to click ok for the update. Are you serious? HP recommends an update then clicks blame you for their faulty process. At no time was the process interrupted, but it still did not work. How do you put out a broken update then blame the customer. 

Another Disappointed Customer

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 1 0 0
Message 8 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Something similar happened to me, HP flashi.exe that changes startup picture in BIOS ruined my computer, it was fully functional dc7900, now it's junk... I tried many different approches to force BIOS reset, none of them worked. I just get amount of RAM counting and then it stops. I might have used wrong picture depth or RLE encoding but shouldn't it be normal for that kind of program to check if picture you're using is acceptable from BIOS? It was stupid from my side to even try to change bios logo but it is much more stupid to publish this kind of program without offering some kind of "reverse" solution.

Dissapointed Customer

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 2 0 0
Message 9 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Just updated bios to F.2E Rev.A on HP Pavilion dv7t-7000 CTO Entertainment Notebook PC and now it is bricked.  It reboots over and over with no screen. Tried recovery with usb but nothing happens with the win+b.

Not sure what to do 😞

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 2 0 0
Message 10 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Ok crazy enough I removed the HD and 1 stick of ram, then it boots up and flashes itself correctly.  

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation