Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hey there,

I've got a really big problem with HP Connection Manager 4 on several Windows 7 notebooks. The program is installed on about 250 notebooks and some of them just drive me crazy. Everything was fine until at some point (I’m not quite sure, it could be after installing Win7 SP1), the Connection Manager decided to stop working on some machines. Whenever I try to start it, it takes a long time to load until the following error message occurs:

"HPConnectionManager.exe - Fatal error

HP Connection Manager Service has stopped responding. Please exit and restart the application.

A Fatal error occurred, check the HP Connection Manager in Event Viewer  for more details.

Retrieving the COM class factor for component  with CLSID {24DB46C8-C842-4E91-9AC4-8A9525A5551D} failed due to the following error 80080005."

I’ve tried the following on one of these notebooks:

-          Starting the service manually: “Error 1067: The process terminated unexpectedly.”

-          Msconfig: Removed everything Connection Manager related from autostart

-          Reinstalling HP Connection Manager

-          Repairing HP Connection Manager

-          Reinstalling .NET 3.5

-          Changing some regkeys

-          Installing Microsoft Hotfix KB2519740 which is part of the Essential System Updates for Microsoft Windows 7 (which I can’t download because there’s a server error)

Some more information:

-          (mostly) HP Probook 6550b

-          Windows 7 Enterprise 64 Bit, SP1 (English, German MUI)

-          HP Connection Manager 4.1.22.1

The only thing that really works is to reinstall the notebook with the image with which we install all of them. The HP Connection Manager is installed as a software package afterwards so I don’t get it why a reinstallation is successful.

I’m really tired of this problem and I’ve got some unhappy customers on my back so if you’ve got any suggestions for me, please help.

Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You might try this on one machine that is showing the issue and see if it helps:

Relevant  information:

Connection Manager V4.4.10.1

Fixes in sp58930:
- Fixes an issue where the HP Connection Manager Password Authentication Protocol (PAP) setting in the connection profile for Verizon LTE systems causes a network authentication failure on systems in certain markets.
- Fixes an issue where HP Connection Manager is not displayed in HP Software Setup.
- Fixes an issue where the Event Viewer displays an error in HP Connection Manager after the system is restarted.
- Fixes an issue where the HP Connection Manager displays the error message "SIM is locked" after a PIN has been used successfully to unlock the SIM.
- Fixes an issue where the "Enter PUK" (Personal Unblocking Code) button is not displayed in HP Connection Manager when a SIM has been locked after the PIN has been incorrectly input.
- Fixes an issue where the statuses of the wireless LAN and the Bluetooth device are incorrectly displayed in HP Connection Manager when Connection Manager is started while the Wireless LAN and Bluetooth are enabled and connected.
- Fixes an intermittent issue where the network technology is incorrectly identified.
- Fixes an issue which causes an HP Connection Manager to stop functioning and an error message to be displayed.
- Fixes an issue with the Spanish localization.

Pre-requisites:
• HP or Compaq branded machines only
• OS is Window XP or later
• If OS is Window XP, it must have SP3 installed
• .Net Framework version 3.5 SP1 must be installed

Enhancements:
- Provides HP Support Framework version 4.6.8.1

Installation Package:

sp58930 Connection Manager V4.4.10.1

=====================================================================================

Hope that helps...

Dragon-Fur

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

You might try this on one machine that is showing the issue and see if it helps:

Relevant  information:

Connection Manager V4.4.10.1

Fixes in sp58930:
- Fixes an issue where the HP Connection Manager Password Authentication Protocol (PAP) setting in the connection profile for Verizon LTE systems causes a network authentication failure on systems in certain markets.
- Fixes an issue where HP Connection Manager is not displayed in HP Software Setup.
- Fixes an issue where the Event Viewer displays an error in HP Connection Manager after the system is restarted.
- Fixes an issue where the HP Connection Manager displays the error message "SIM is locked" after a PIN has been used successfully to unlock the SIM.
- Fixes an issue where the "Enter PUK" (Personal Unblocking Code) button is not displayed in HP Connection Manager when a SIM has been locked after the PIN has been incorrectly input.
- Fixes an issue where the statuses of the wireless LAN and the Bluetooth device are incorrectly displayed in HP Connection Manager when Connection Manager is started while the Wireless LAN and Bluetooth are enabled and connected.
- Fixes an intermittent issue where the network technology is incorrectly identified.
- Fixes an issue which causes an HP Connection Manager to stop functioning and an error message to be displayed.
- Fixes an issue with the Spanish localization.

Pre-requisites:
• HP or Compaq branded machines only
• OS is Window XP or later
• If OS is Window XP, it must have SP3 installed
• .Net Framework version 3.5 SP1 must be installed

Enhancements:
- Provides HP Support Framework version 4.6.8.1

Installation Package:

sp58930 Connection Manager V4.4.10.1

=====================================================================================

Hope that helps...

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply!

The Probook 6550b is not listed as supported model at this page:  ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp58501-59000/sp58930.html

Do you think it will work anyway?

HP Recommended

Depends..

The "uncertainty" factor is the reason I suggested that you experiment with a single system prior to trying to migrate this sort of change.

I do not believe that the Connection Manager has the same level of machine sensitivity exhibited by the device drivers.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

YAY! It's working now after installing the new version! Thank you so much! :OpenSmile:

HP Recommended

Good News!  You are welcome.

If any of the systems "stick", consider / try : 

• Restart the router in the path of that system
  • Try a Hard Reset on the complaining computer

Hard Reset to Resolve Hardware and Software Issues

Happy Computing!

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

i tried your solution, the update will not install, stating that it is not supported on this machine?  I'm running Windows 7 pro 64bit.

I'm not sure why this error is showing up at all?

Thank you 🙂

HP Recommended

Hi,

maybe you should try several versions of the HP Connection Manager. On which model does the error occur?

BR

HollyShort

HP Recommended

chaserazvi,

Welcome to the HP Forum.

The HP Connection Manager is not a "cure all" for every machine and every situation.  :Crying:

If you are seeing the message, then your computer knows that the program - or at least which ever version of what ever you are trying to install - is not appropriate for your file system.  Windows 7 has a number of safeguards built into the operating system to keep the user from loading something into the computer that does not belong there.  Be thankful.  Smiling.

Commentary

This little software program runs on some Windows 7 computers and facilitates wireless (and bluetooth) setup and features.  The Connection Manager is not actually a "mandatory" program -- it is one of those "Gee, this is nice" to have programs that makes life better.  The Connection program does not MAKE the wireless work -- it makes it easier for the user to manage the wireless (and bluetooth) connections.

===========================================================================

You might wish to open your own new thread, describe your issue in some detail  (including your full computer model and OS).  You might have noticed that this thread is an older one, with many of the details already gone over and over and over.   Your answer may be here -- it also may be true that none of this applies to your computer.

If you need focus on YOUR issue, you need to start fresh. 

Brilliant Post - How to Ask Your Question

Click the Kudos Thumbs-Up!

It is a nice way to say “Thank You" for the help.

Although I strive to reflect HP's best practices, I do not work for HP. 

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

I've got an issue with HP Connection Manager on my main Windows 7 notebook. This is the error I get (attached)

HP Connection Manager Fatal Error.jpg:

"HPConnectionManager.exe - Fatal error

HP Connection Manager Service has stopped responding. Please exit and restart the application.

A Fatal error occurred, check the HP Connection Manager in Event Viewer for more details.

Retrieving the COM class factor for component  with CLSID {24DB46C8-C842-4E91-9AC4-8A9525A5551D} failed due to the following error: 80080005."

Some information:

-          HP Pavilion dv7-6123cl Entertainment Notebook PC, model dv4t - 1300

-          Product number: NJ924AV

-          Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit, SP1

Thanks in advance!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.