cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
viksharma
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP DV6-3143SE Memory upgrade

Hi

I have a HP DV6-3143SE model (Middle East Model) which has i5 460m and a 4gb RAM. Now i want to take advantage of dual channel and want to install another 4gb RAM. I just want to know does this laptop support 1333Mhz RAM, i know older i5 does not support 1333Mhz and run it at 1066Mhz but i want to purchase a 1333Mhz memory stick (I m buying corsair). My question is will a 1333Mhz RAM work in my laptop. Also Intel HM55 mobile chipset specifications dont show memory speed supported.

Thanks

Vikhyat

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
Level 9
Level 9
2,526 2,518 199 757
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You can use a 3rd party software like SIW to check max clock speed and max memory supported on your laptop. The freeware version is available for free download over here

Also this info is available on your BIOS screen as well which can loaded using F10. If item is not listed, upgrade the BIOS which is ideally not required to have your clock speed shown for your computer.

//Click on Kudos and Accept as Solution if my reply was helpful and answered your question//

I am an HP employee!!
EliteBook
Level 1
11 11 0 3
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You raise quite a few questions thrown into one big one 🙂

First off, ever since the Core i seris mobile CPU's, all have the memory controller located as part of the CPU itself, it's on-die so to speak.

Given the above you won't find supported memory specifications on HM55 or any other Core i mobile chipsets (northbridges) simply due to the fact that they no longer feature a memory controller.

In as far as can PC3-10600 1333MHz RAM be used in a laptop likely support PC3-8500 1066MHz RAM then the answer is yes. JEDEC develops memory standards to be backward compatible with each other.

Moving onto dual channel. If your laptop shipped with 2x 2GB SODIMM's then it's already running in synchronus dual channel mode. Now, I believe your laptop only has two memory slots. Consequently, for you to upgrade to 8GB in total you must first remove what you already have and then buy 2x 4GB PC3-8500 SODIMM's.

And to round it off. What memory specification your laptop supports now purely rests with the CPU. Given you have an i5 series mobile CPU I suggest you take a look via the linke below, and select i5 460M.

What is the maximum capacity and type of memory supported by my Intel Core i5 mobile processor based...

viksharma
2 1 0 0
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hey Elitebook

Thanks a lot for your post, much appreciated. Guess an accounting person will never understand northbridge south bridge and memory controller concept :smileyvery-happy:. I remember that from P4 days so thought that would be the case with i series processor.

As for RAM support thanks for letting me know infact the model was shipped with 1333Mhz RAM which runs at 1066Mhz as i5 does not support a higher speed. Someone posted that HP must have bought a lot of 1333Mhz RAM to get big discounts and basically shipped all the models with 1333Mhz RAM...Mayb.

As for my model, intelligent HP only put 1 memory stick of 4gb and that is why i am adding another 4gb memory stick. I was a little concerned about matching the brands etc but then took a chance and ordered my memory stick.

0 Kudos
EliteBook
Level 1
11 11 0 3
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Your welcome.

In this day and age it's no longer much of an issue when it comes to mixing memory brands. Everyone now seems to be following the JEDEC memory standards word for word. Any conflicts that arise from such issues will be seldom.

Yes, it's very likely that HP did buy in a truck load (or more, hehe) of PC3-10600 hence got a better deal. Given the fact that computer memory is backwards compatible, i.e. the memory controller reads the SPD chip and configures the modules accordingly at their specified speed, there's no harm in installing higher graded modules of the same type and capacity (for synchronous dual channel mode - not the slower asynchronous mode).

Give you're running only one SODIMM now you should see a boost in bandwidth after adding the second. Software such as AIDA64 will help you run some benchmarks to compare if interested etc. 

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation