cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
Level 1
11 8 0 3
Message 1 of 10
Flag Post

Solved!

HP DV6 Envy 7214nr fan stop working !

HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 8 (64-bit)

Hi there,

I got an HP DV6 Envy 7214-nr. its a nice laptop indeed. recently the fan stop working. i mean its working at first booting then its only funtion at very very slow speed and barly ...barly you can hear it working. not like months ago.

usually i heard the fan noise when i play games and usually it work loader if i turn on HP CoolSense. games become very slow after the first 4 mintues and i cant hear the fan working at all and i cant even feel the fan working when am putting my hand close to the vents. when i restart my laptop i got this error :

the system has detected that a cooling fan is not operating correctly.
Continued operation is not recommended and may cause unpredictable behavior that could result in random shutdown..
System Fan (90b)

i tried to update the system to the latest updates, got last firmware updates, windows updates...no effect.. tried to re install HP Frame Work then the HP coolsense then install them. No go !

Am afraid the laptop Fan is dead :Crying: . Can any one help me getting the Fan Part No so i can buy it online and install it?  i need the part NO or a vaild link to order ( HP, Amazon ...etc )

My laptop infos :

Envy 7214nr

Product : C2L40UA#ABA

Model : DV6- 7214nr

Warranty: 2y2y0y

Thanks on advanced :catsad:

0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Retired
Retired
2,840 2,755 185 362
Message 2 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi there @shadad

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forums and Welcome! This is a great site to get answers and ask questions. I have looked into the issue you had mentioned in your post on the HP Support Forums. I understand that your fan is not working on your HP ENVY dv6-7214nr Notebook PC and you are receiving an error message on start up. 

Please take a look at this document called System Fan (90b) error message on startup. You will find that the document says to try the following steps when receiving an error that says "The system has detected that a cooling fan is not operating correctly". 

To fix this error, use the following steps:

• If you notice that the system fan spins and is blowing warm air from the computer, clean the exterior vents to remove dust buildup by blowing air through the vent openings. Do this while the computer is off. Dust can accumulate inside the vent opening and around internal cooling components, preventing the removal of heat. After the dust has been removed, try turning on the computer to see if the error goes away. if not, continue to the next step. For more information on reducing heat inside your computer, see Reducing Heat Inside the PC
  • Perform a hard reset. Performing a hard reset can reset recorded thermal values in memory and enable you to use the computer again — even if only for a short time to access and save any important files before service. For information on performing a hard reset, see Use Hard Reset to Resolve Hardware and Software Issues.
  • In some cases, updating the BIOS may help prevent this error from occurring. For information on how to update your BIOS, see Updating the BIOS.
  • Have the computer serviced to clean internal components and replace the system fan if necessary. Ensure that the following items are addressed during servicing:
  1. Thoroughly remove dust from all internal cooling components.
  2. Ensure that wires from the system and CPU fans are connected to the motherboard securely.
  3. Ensure that the system fan blades spin correctly and that the fan is not producing loud noises. If not working correctly, replace the system fan.
  • Remove old thermal compound from integrated circuits and heat sinks, and replace with new thermal compound.

You had provided me with a warranty number but it would be easier for you to Check your product warranty because you need your Serial Number and your Product Number. 

If the troubleshooting steps do not work, please use the following link to create yourself a case number:

Step 1. Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect

Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"
Step 4. Scroll down and click on HP contact options - click on Get phone number

Case number and phone number appear.

Please let me know if I answered your question by clicking the 'Thumbs up' if the troubleshooting steps in this post resolved the issue for you please click the 'Accept as Solution' button. This will allow other's who have the same issue to find the solution also. If you require further assistance, I would be more than happy to continue to help you. Please just re-post with the results of the troubleshooting. 

Thanks! 

EmeraldAvenger
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!
Highlighted
Author
Level 1
11 8 0 3
Message 3 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

woww..this is soo embarrassing :LaughingTears:

am an IT for at less 10 years and i have seen that troubleshooting on HP site about removing the battery and then press and hold the power button trick !

i did dismantle the laptop part by part.. i upgrade the BIOS. removed the BIOS battery and said to myself : why the hell i need to do that first step that mentioned since i i already did the advanced troubleshooting. so today i was saying i will give that silly step a shot and it.... WORK !!!

the fan is working ! my god i even put an order for my new fan. wasted lot of time and money.. how on hell is that even possible i have no idea. i mean resetting the BIOS settings and removing the parts all of the laptop shouldve release and reset that "  ... recorded thermal values in memory " !!

anyway. i will keep this as a lesson for me lol.

thank you. problem solved by Hard Reset.

Highlighted
Author
Level 1
11 8 0 3
Message 4 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Dear EmeraldAvenger,

the issue come back again! while i was playing - and happy - it suddenly stop permanently. there is no sign of it working. not at all. the laptop become slow because of the heat.

i restarted the laptop again but it did not work at all... so i did the Hard Rest again. it worked..then after that it stop completely. !

is the fan need to be replaced or there is something like sensor or capacitor burned up?

Keep in mind that i update the system completely including the BIOS. i dismantled the laptop at less 4 times and cleaned the FAN compartment.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Retired
Retired
2,840 2,755 185 362
Message 5 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi there @shadad,

I read that the issue has come back again. 😞

Can you get the Notebook to come on at all?

Do you have any beep codes or blinking LED lights

Do you try a BIOS reset instead?

If you get the Notebook to come on, please try to Test for Hardware Failures. Please re-post and let me know what happened with the Hardware Diagnostics testing. Please do the Extensive Test and the Quick test to see if it detects an error. 

Did you happen to receive any error messages or error codes this time?

Please let me know how this goes! 

Thanks! 

EmeraldAvenger
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 1
11 8 0 3
Message 6 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi

The laptop is running if i skipped the error msg about the fan issue. i kept a fan external cooling system beneth it to cool it up.

nope. no cods at all except the :

the system has detected that a cooling fan is not operating correctly.
Continued operation is not recommended and may cause unpredictable behavior that could result in random shutdown..
System Fan (90b)

I did BIOS reset maybe 2 times and i even removed the battery just to make sure. no blinking LED. strange that when i went to went to the  Test for Hardware Failures and run the Quick test the fan was working ! the result was PASS. when i finished that test and run the Extensive Test it work the first 30 min then the fan stopped and so the laptop switched off by it self.

i turned the laptop again and now the FAN is completly not working. again...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Retired
Retired
2,840 2,755 185 362
Message 7 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi there @shadad

I am glad that you were able to get it back for a little while! I read your post and see that you are experiencing the 90B error again! You had said that the fan passed the Quick Test (which as you know is less extensive) but never was able to finish the Extensive Test. 

Have you tried just the Extensive test since?

The fan seems to be working while the tests are running, meaning that it would pass because they are working in the same moment they are being tested and when the fan stopped, the test stopped because the Notebook powered off. That would make me believe that it would be unable to give a true diagnosis. 

If the error is still appearing, it seems that your original idea to replace the system fan may be the solution. 

However, you can always try to contact us. Please use the following link to create yourself a case number:

Step 1. Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect
Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"
Step 4. Scroll down and click on HP contact options - click on Get phone number

Case number and phone number appear.

I hope this helps! 

Take care. 🙂

EmeraldAvenger
I work on behalf of HP

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 1
11 8 0 3
Message 8 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi .

No problem dear. i will have my new FAN on the next few days. will see. if it was the old fan was the issue then the new one should run right after i link it and start up the system . the current FAN is turning on its demands lol..some times yes..some time no.

every thing will be clear soon i run the Star Craft II ( game ) on the laptop to test after the instllation .

i will update you soon .

Thanks and best regards,

Shadad

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 1
11 8 0 3
Message 9 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Dear all,

Fan has been changed. worked like a charm. tested more than 1 hr on StarCraft 2 running on my laptop. the game went smooth and i heard the fan clearly.

Thanks for all.

Shadad

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Retired
Retired
2,840 2,755 185 362
Message 10 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @shadad

That is fantastic to hear! I am so glad that the new fan is working for you! 

Wishing you the best! 🙂

EmeraldAvenger
I work on behalf of HP

ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation