Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

My HP DV6000 laptop has a factory fault which has been repaired under warranty once by HP but they wont repair it again... its the same fault. It beeps when turned on and has a blank screen - there are blue lights still showing on the keyboard tho'.  Does anyone know what the fix is for this so I can get it repaired (I think that would be cheaper than buying new - hopefully!).  Tx

15 REPLIES 15
HP Recommended

@ToryD wrote:

My HP DV6000 laptop has a factory fault which has been repaired under warranty once by HP but they wont repair it again... its the same fault. It beeps when turned on and has a blank screen - there are blue lights still showing on the keyboard tho'.  Does anyone know what the fix is for this so I can get it repaired (I think that would be cheaper than buying new - hopefully!).  Tx

HP knows the hp6000 has a factory defect but will not stand behind their product. My laptop is six months out of warranty and they should cover this repair. The mother board goes out and they know this is a problem with this model. I will never buy another HP product.

HP Recommended

Ok , I know of two different beep codes for this unit . Most of the units I see at work have just the one , but the other I have seen twice and its a simple fix .

If the beep code is one long beep followed by two short , then its irrecoverable , its a no video beep code , the motherboard is bad .

If the beep code is 1 beep , 4 beeps , 2 beeps then 1 beep (which is HIGHLY unlikely btw) then it needs a new CMOS battery .

People I work with don't know the second one , which should tell you how unlikely it is .

Hope this helps .

HP Recommended

I too have the same problem. The screen is blank, and the unit reboots, but no HP Screen logo.  This is a documented engineering design fault of the DV6000 series AND others.  See www.[Text Deleted].com for details.  It is user repairable, if you check Google for the string "DV6000 motherboard repair" and / or www.[Text Deleted].com.

It's a shame, as I'm writing this on a Toshiba A205-series which DOES NOT overheat, and - TODAY - still works.  HP, refusing to repair or make good, on an otherwise good machine, shows poor marketing which will impact the division in two - three years.  Even a rebate coupon for a new system would assuage some unfortunate customers.

HP Recommended

OK, So the board automatically kills the link.: go to www (dot) [Text Deleted] (dot) com

There you will find links on how to repair you unit YOURSELF.  Can't get worse, at least you will have a chance to repair and salvage you data.... If you further break the unit, it's in no worse shape <g>, if you fix it, you will appreciate your system better.  I would use a better "silver" compound heat sink paste and USE SPARINGLY, as you DO NOT want the paste to overflow past the top of the chip onto the thin wires, as that would create another short!  So just a tiny dip!  Good luck on fixing an otherwise great machine.

HP Recommended

Okay - mine is a little different. Most times, when I boot up my DV6000, I get the screen where I can press F10 to go into the bios setup, then it clears, gives 2 short beeps, and I get a screen that says "F1 to continue, F10 to setup". F1 tries to do a network boot, F10 takes me to the bios setup. If I go into the bios setup, the system sees everything. If I do nothing and simply power off the laptop and turn it on again, it boots fine. I cannot find any information on what the 2 short beeps mean.

Any idea what this means?

Thanks,

HP Recommended

Since all my posts about this get removed because HP doesn't want people joining together to file a you know what, I think everyone should get on facebook and join the HP laptop group!  Maybe then we can all talk freely about this without being censored.

HP Recommended

my dv6780se died because of the crappy nVidia 8400M GS.  I sent complaints about HP and nVidia to the BBB.  Never buying another crappy HP product again.  Kinda sucks now because I have:

3 other HP laptops

2 HP desktops

2 HP printers

Buying a Dell XPS Studio 16 next month. 

HP's response to the issue was:

1) motherboard replacement for $400ish....F-that.  Better spent on a new Dell product.

2) Buy another crappy HP laptop, or even better, a Compaq and get a free 2 year warranty....F-that too, and a compaq?

3) Sorry, but the nVidia 8400M GS was identified in certain models to fail, even though all those video cards suck.

For $70 though, I'll mail you my dv6780se to have a look, at least your providing help unlike HP.

HP Recommended

@All dv series hp lappy owners suffering with the infamous "faulty nvidia g84, g86 graphic card problem" try this temporary fix!! Its working! atleast worked for me and few others (claimed so in some forum posts.)
DISCLAIMER: Try it at ur own risk! No guarentee that these techniques work. Sometimes laptop may be damaged also.

Read on for detail...

CAUTION: Remove HardDisk and Battery. Do not close the lid. Open it, so that screen does not get damaged. Screen should not be covered in blanket/towel. Only the air vents are to be blocked.

Blanket-heat (wrap ur laptop in a towel or blanket following above caution and turn it on!) the laptop for 1hr and then turn the power off(no more heating). Now the laptop would be pretty hot and now let it cool down all by itself.(i.e. simply do not touch ur laptop till it cools down )
Better stay beside and moniter the temperature while blanket-heating.Ur lappy will get pretty hot. Don't worry too much unless it is on flames 🙂
After cooling, fix back the hard disk press the power button and hold it for about 45 sec. Now fix back the battery also and reboot. Now shout aloud.. 'YA' ..wait for it.. 'HOO!!'. (Hopefully this temporary fix works)

Are u thinking why/what the heck (is) all this?
hp dv series nvdia g84 and g86 graphic cards have a design flaw and to add to this problem the heat sink is poor.(heat sink is a metal(mostly copper) plate pressed against graphic card and processor to take in heat and release it right before the fan so that fan takes over that heat and expells it.)
In some series of hp laptops (claimed in some discussion forums) there was only 1 heat sink for both processor and gpu , instead of having two sinks separately for each, because of the lack of space and on top of that the heat sink was also very thin.
So, graphic card sometimes gets heated to such an extent that its soldering with the mother board comes off and display goes to blank.(This could happen especially when playing computer games that use up graphic card a lot).
The above method aims at heating the laptop (using its own generated heat!!) and thereby heating the graphic card and somehow magically resolder the graphic card to its mother!! board.
Some other techniques to achieve this resoldering are:
1)Take the motherboard and remove all heat-sensitive components like plastic etc... and heat it in a home oven at some particular temperature.. REFER SOME OTHER DISCUSSIONS FORUMS FOR THE EXACT DETAIL OF THE PROCEDURE PEOPLE HAVE TRIED OUT AND ITS RESULTS .(I am not kidding.. some people tried this. But DO NOT USE THIS METHOD as it is risky and you may likely end up burning the mother board ). After heating allow it to cool all by itself and then hold the power button for 40secs.

2)
a) Take out the motherboard and identify the graphic card and flame heat it. Now put an extra metal sheet(heat sink) to improvise heat sink so as to lower the graphic card temperature and hence try to avoid the problem in the future.
FOR EXACT DETAIL OF THE PROCEDURE REFER "HP REFLOW" IN YOUTUBE AND ALSO VISIT 'HP REFLOW' WEBSITE.
The above is for FOR TECHIES ONLY.

b)FOR NON-TECHIES i.e. those who want it repaired by experts...
"hp reflow" website also takes in laptops/motherboards by courier and then repairs them and send them back. For cost detail refer 'HP REFLOW' WEBSITE.(i don't recollect exact url but link given in the youtube "HPREFLOW technique" video)

VERY IMPORTANT:
---------------------------
The BIOS dictates the way cooling fan works i.e. its speed, sleep time etc.
hp inorder to conserve battery and increase its life, made the fan rotate conservatively i.e. not at its full speed and rotate when "required" etc..
Upgrade ur BIOS to the latest version from the hp website as it ensures that the fan speed is at its maximum all the time lowering temperature of graphic card.

HP Recommended

I have a HP pavillion dv2000 its trash!!!! I cant tell you how angry I'am at this company. I have had this thing fixed at least 3 times and its 3 years old. Now the screen is totally blank and my computer guy said dont fix it again because its the mother board its cheaper to buy a new one. I've had 2 other computers over many years and this is the first one that has been in the shop. The only reason I got the laptop from HP was because I wanted something portable to play games on. I have a HP printer and its always having issues I got so mad at it I unplugged it and threw it in the trash and its maybe a year old. All I can say is dont buy HP PRODUCTS!!!!!

I'm getting a new laptop and a new printer but you can bet your bottom dollar it wont be a HP. My computer guy says there thousands of complaints about these models so if you looking dont look at HP unless your willing to get bad customer service and you have unlimted money to keep putting in this bad product.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.