cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Spikesez
Level 1
5 4 0 2
Message 1 of 34
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP DV8 DV8T Wireless Connection Drop Issues. Simple yet Advanced Fix (SAF fix)

This is for all of you that keep loosing your wireless connections. This fix may apply to other models and  Windows Operating Systems (XP, Vista, Windows 7).

My Machine:

HP DV8T-1100
Wireless card:    Intel(R) Centrino(R) Advanced-N 6200 AGN

Symptoms:

Wireless connection drops in and out randomly with the internal card.
The wireless touch switch goes from blue to orange and back again.
I can touch the switch and it will reconnect then randomly drop.
Repairing the connection works then the connection drops again.
Plugging in a USB wireless adapter the usb connection works normal.

Synopsis:

Lets not play the HP blame game. My DVT8 is a fantastic machine. I love it.
I looked for a working solution to this problem everywhere with no luck. I've tried reseating the wireless card, repairing the connection, lowering the xmit power, HP driver update, installing linksys factory driver with no luck. I even went as far as borrowing a spectrum analyzer looking for stray "RFI" signals to isolate the cause.

For those of you who think the issue is in the touch panel, I do not believe this to be true. While this sometimes appears to be related i fixed my treble, bass and media switches some time ago but cant remember how as it was when I first bought my machine. But it was a software issue. I may have even removed some HP software. just not sure

This "SAF" fix is only for the wireless soooo...

Look no farther cuz HP tech support can't quite put thier finger on it either.

The solution comes from.....yes Mr. Softie. Microsoft left us a fix for thier network stack.

The "SAF" fix:

Open a command prompt as admistrator:
(click on Start -> type in “cmd” -> right click on the cmd.exe and choose “Run as Administrator”)

Now type in:

netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt
netsh winsock reset

Reboot and this should fix your connection drop issues

My connection has not dropped since

Please leave feed back so the HP tech support will adopt this and instruct its customers on how to resolve this issue.

Robert "Spike" Spencer

For Further Information:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299357

33 REPLIES 33
Jabula
3 3 0 0
Message 2 of 34
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hey Spikesez,

Thanks for your post. Sounds like your solution came after a fair bit of hair tearing and nail biting! I have been doing much the same for the past three weeks. I'm up to two complete re-installs.

I only recently found this forum and thanks again for sharing your ideas.

I have just done as you suggested and to this point, things are looking positive. I seem to have fixed my tone control issues by uninstalling WiFi Assistant (!!??) and the HP tone control.

Will come back and post if problem re-occurs.

Cheers!

Bruce

DV8T 1200 (purchased July 2010)

0 Kudos
Spikesez
Level 1
5 4 0 2
Message 3 of 34
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Footnote:

I uninstalled the wireless assistant first. Its about worthless anyways.

0 Kudos
brian220x
Level 4
89 88 0 20
Message 4 of 34
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Sorry guys that will not fix the problem. It has already been tried and it does not correct the touch button issue. It may help you if you are having other network related issues.

It has already been shown that this is NOT a software or driver issue.  I could go into detail but its on the boards.

It occurs with other NON-Microsoft operating systems as well as many other conditions that rule out drivers and software.

Correcting the grounding is the only way to fix it for good.

0 Kudos
Jabula
3 3 0 0
Message 5 of 34
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Yup! I'm afraid it was temporary at best. I'm nervous to delve into the guts of such a complex piece of electronics, but it may be the only answer.

Given the replies from others on this forum, I doubt I will get much joy from HP "support".

I guess this will be the last HP product I will be buying for a very long time.

Cheers...and thanks very much for all the input.

Bruce

0 Kudos
Level 12
4,523 4,426 238 1,227
Message 6 of 34
Flag Post
HP Recommended

0 Kudos
jellowood
Level 2
27 26 0 0
Message 7 of 34
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Is yours still working after this fix? I've done this fix twice and both times after rebooting it works for a few minutes and starts dropping again. Maybe some people it is a software issue but mine is 100% hardware. When I can bang on the laptop and watch the lights turn on and off its hardware. I will be calling HP for a third time and will demand that they take this poorly engineered POS back.

0 Kudos
Jabula
3 3 0 0
Message 8 of 34
Flag Post
HP Recommended

This is definitely a hardware issue.

I had the very same problem with my relatively new dv8t 1200:  Wi-fi random on/off - tone control random on/off - and random freezing.

I contacted HP support and they immediately sent me packaging in which to ship my computer back to them. They kept me informed at every stage of repair and eventually replaced the motherboard and touch panel as well as the heat-sink. My computer was shipped back (all shipping was overnight express) and I had my computer back within 10 days. I was most impressed with the professional way my issues were handled - no hassles at all! And since then my computer has been running like a dream.

Kudos to HP support!

(I bought my computer last August and it is still under warranty.)

Cheers,

Bruce

0 Kudos
cb007cb
6 6 0 0
Message 9 of 34
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Funny hp has hundreds of complaints yet fails to recall this unit.Its a design fault and warranty should not even apply!If they do not do a recall they will loose a lot of business.

0 Kudos
jbeckerm
2 2 0 2
Message 10 of 34
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hate to burst your bubble, but the problem will return.  Maybe not today or tomorrow, but it will. 

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation