cancel

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
gary3 Student
Student
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP Dv6 -7040 notebook fails to startup and makes a loud beeping sound

Hey,

My DV6-7040 notebook fails to startup normally and makes a loud beeping sound whenever i press the power button. The beeping sound keeps on continuing and it shows press the ESC key to go to startup. On pressing the ESC keep about three times the system begins to load and then works properly. However, i have noticed that the numeric keypad is jumbled. When i press the key 9 it shows 1 and when i press the key 5 it shows 8. 

When ever i power on the laptop it keeps beeping. Incase i dont press the ESC kep the beeping sound keeps continuing. I have already done a memory test and primary hard disk test via bios and it shows no problems. 

Can i please get help on this topic. I need my laptop for alot of my work and alot of presentations. Is the beeping sound signifying a short circuit??? 

the operating system is Windows 7 home premium

i have not installed any softwares in the laptop nor any hardware devices are connected to it. I have just purchased the laptop a month ago. 

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
Distinguished Professor
Distinguished Professor
4,848 4,722 203 621
Message 2 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

It sounds like you may need to restore the BIOS. I recommend taking a look at the following document.

Restoring the BIOS

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Signature
0 Kudos
nikhil_kurup Honor Student
Honor Student
2 2 0 0
Message 3 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi

I'm facing a similar problem with my 2009-10 model hp dv6 1100 (AMD proccesor windows vista ) .Continuous non stop beeping (1-1-1-1 etc) , does not load windows. Start up memory test and hard disk completed successfully. So I also have to restore BIIOS or could it be some other problem...?? Please let me know if any other information is needed

Thanks

0 Kudos
Distinguished Professor
Distinguished Professor
2,876 2,766 181 736
Message 4 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello nikhil_kurup,

You are getting a beep sound as you start the computer.

The beep sound that you are hearing is a code to tell what is wrong with the computer.

Here is a link with a list of beep codes and troubleshooting steps.

Clicking the White Kudos star on the left is a way to say Thanks!

Let me know how everything goes.

Have a good day.

nikhil_kurup Honor Student
Honor Student
2 2 0 0
Message 5 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi anthony

Thanks for your help. I have checked the link you sent as well as a few others but none of them seem to show the beep sequence that I heard from my laptop. BTW it started working again after a couple of hours!!!

It was emitting short beeps continuosly (more than 20 times after which i switched it off)  ,do I have to get the laptop checked?? The AMD processor has a huge heating problem could it be due to overheating?? I have never faced a prob with this laptop besides the heating related issues...!

Thanks

Nikhil

0 Kudos
Distinguished Professor
Distinguished Professor
2,876 2,766 181 736
Message 6 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

nikhil_kurup,

The beeping could have been caused by the laptop getting too hot.

Have you tried updating the BIOS?  This will usually help with the overheating.

Here is a link to the BIOS update.

Also you should clean the vents with compressed air, just to make sure there is not a buildup of dust.

Clicking the White Kudos star on the left is a way to say Thanks!

Let me know how everything goes.

Have a good day.

0 Kudos
Travis-sg Student
Student
1 1 0 0
Message 7 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello
my laptop got problem. My HP laptop's battery light is blinking and charger is making bee sounds continuously non-stop. I saw the most of solution but my problem doesn't match any. As i am very noob in laptops, i need help.
0 Kudos
DragosZaman Honor Student
Honor Student
3 3 0 0
Message 8 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Just disconect your keybard. Search on youtube how to disconect it. Your keyboard is dirty or have a defect.

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation