Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I just bought a brand new HP ENVY 15-u010dx x360 Convertible Laptop today and according to the specs it says that the laptop has a backlit keyboard when you press the F5 button (or fn F5.  F5 buttn has the light label on it).  However this does not work.  I am not sure if it is a hardware failure or if there is some magical keys that I need to press but it is not working.  Here is the link from BestBuy that I bought it from.  it says specifically there that it has a backlit keybaord. 

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-envy-x360-2-in-1-15-6-touch-screen-laptop-intel-core-i5-8gb-memory-75...

Thank you and your help is very much appreciated.

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended
1. Turn off the Notebook
2. Remove the AC/Power Adapter and Battery
3. Press and hold their Power Button for 1 full Minute
4. Put the Battery and AC/Power Adapter back
5. Turn ON their Notebook and tap F10 Key during startup
6. Once you get to them BIOS press F5 to load setup defaults
7. Press Escape key and Yes for save and exit
8. Now turn ON the Notebook again and try pressing Fn+F5 or Fn+F12 or Fn+F2 or Fn+F3

Let me know how it goes

Please click on Kudos Star to say thanks
Please Accept as Solution if this resolves your query

Regards
K N R K
I work on behalf of HP
I am an HP Employee
HP Recommended

Hello, thank you for the reply but that didnt work. 

HP Recommended

I am not sure if you have looked at this link before

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01612362

Hope this helps, for any further queries reply to the post and feel free to join us again

**Click the KUDOS star on left to say Thanks**

Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

Thank You,

K N R K

I work on behalf of HP

I am an HP Employee
HP Recommended

Thank you very much for your help..  I did see that but it still wasnt working.  I did however just go back to bestbuy and get a replacement laptop.  Now the keyboard works just fine..  Apparently the one I had was defective.  Thanks again.

HP Recommended

Very Nice!!! I am happy you got a replacement unit.

Regards
KNRK
I work on behalf of HP

I am an HP Employee
HP Recommended

I also have the same condition on a brand new HP Envy x360 with Windows 10. How do you enable keyboard "back light" feature ?   Need help immeditely, please !!!

HP Recommended

I just purchased the HP ENVY X360 and thought that i had the same issue. Just press F5. That's all I did and it toggles from off to on.

HP Recommended

I just purchased the HP ENVY x360 and thought that i had the same issue. Just press F5. That's all I did and it toggles from off to on.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.