Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
Level 3
34 24 0 5
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post

Solved!

HP ENVY 4-1215dx Touchpad Problems

HP Recommended

There are a couple of problems with the touchpad on my HP ENVY 4-1215dx laptop.  One problem concerns the bottom of the touchpad, which is used for right and left mouse clicks.  At times the click noises are very loud and sound like something is broken, and the click doesn't work.  If I put the laptop in sleep mode and leave it alone for 3-4 hours, everything works when I take it out of sleep mode.  I highly doubt updating or reinstalling the driver would fix the loud clicking noise.

The second problem occurs off and on when tapping the main portion of the touchpad to do a right or left click.  I tap it multiple times, and the click doesn't work.  It works after taking the laptop out of sleep mode. 

Both problems are random and cannot be recreated at will.  Because of the loud click noises I think something may be broken with the touchpad or motherboard below it.  If the touchpad is broken, can it be replaced or do I have to live with it or get a new laptop?  Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Gary

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Author
Level 3
34 24 0 5
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have an update on this issue.  My wife, who uses this laptop 90% of the time, says putting the laptop to sleep and restarting it was something that seemed to work when the problem first occurred over a month ago.  Currenly the right and left click portions at the bottom of the touchpad rarely work and tapping the touchpad randomly works.  She uses a wireless mouse and the touchscreen most of the time.

I tried to talk to BestBuy to see if they knew if the touchpad was replaceable and got no where with them.  I'd like to know if the touchpad can be replaced.

Gary

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Retired
Retired
5,476 6,075 339 867
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @garyg45

I saw your post regarding the problems with your wife's touchpad. From what you have described it could be a hardware issue with the touchpad. I would suggest reinstalling your Synaptics TouchPad as that is a solution that doesn't require taking the notebook apart or sending it in for repair.

Synaptics TouchPad Driver (Windows 7)

Synaptics TouchPad Driver (Windows 8/8.1)

If you have had the notebook for less then a year or purchased an extended warranty give us a call regarding a repair. You can reach HP Total Care at 1-800-474-6836 in North America or start here if you live outside of North America.

The TouchPad is a replaceable part and page 54 of your Maintenance and Service Guide you will find instructions on how to replace it and the part numbers for the compatible replacement. Don't do this if you are in warranty as this will void it.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue.

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Thank you,

BHK6

I work on behalf of HP
Highlighted
Author
Level 3
34 24 0 5
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

BHK6,

I will reinstall the touchpad driver for Windows 8 and see how it works.  If that doesn't work, I'll investigate having it repaired.

Thanks,

Gary

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 3
34 24 0 5
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

BHK6,

Thanks for the information concerning the drivers.  Reinstallation hasn't made much of a difference.  The Maintenance and Service Guide was very helpful for finding the touchpad part number.  I think we will need to replace the touchpad.  I'm hesitant to do the replacement myself because the instructions want the display panel removed before removing the base enclosure to access the touchpad.  It seems a little drastic to remove the display panel in order to open the base enclosure.  This is something I'll have a previously used local repair shop perform since I'm out of warranty.

Thanks again,

Gary

0 Kudos
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation