cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
sevenservices
4 2 0 1
Message 1 of 7
Flag Post

Solved!

HP ENVY M7-J120DX Left Hinge Chronic Flaw in design. Help I am falling apart here.

HP Recommended
HP ENVY M7-J120DX
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Noticed flexibility increase at first then the left hinge on closing pop and split the case. I was fortunate to get it back in place and snap it back it but it is tenative at the best. I am not seeing any proactive movement on HP side on this chronic issue. What is up with that. I just bought another HP and even have my HP Pavilion dv4-1435dx sitting next to me. HP has been my choice for laptops over the last 20 years almost. Get off the throne and do something for all of us..... Alternatives are out there with the Thunderbolt coming out on Asus and on Sony's.  So keeping all of the people in this forum who seem to be long term users and customers and not loopy lous looking for a hand out.

6 REPLIES 6
Omar-E
Retired
Retired
10,015 6,596 119 423
Message 2 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@sevenservices

‎Thank you for using HP Support Forum. I have brought your issue to the appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post ( serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with the Forum's private messaging please click here to learn more.

Thank you,
Omar

I Work for HP
0 Kudos
sevenservices
Author
4 2 0 1
Message 3 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I see many different options to this CHRONIC fault that the tension and tork from the Envy and Paililion laptops. Even sending it in for repairs would bring a question mark! See this and many of the innovative fixes are are doing to save the HP Laptop from being thrown aside. As you can see from the amount of queries ofon the problem and the brand most mentioned..... HP When the screws are broken off the base of the case be it one screw or two the options are only various forms of glue ala hot glue, gorilla glue NOT recommended expnsion and mess or HP Weld. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KxHgdN4cL8

0 Kudos
sevenservices
Author
4 2 0 1
Message 4 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended
0 Kudos
rusty2B
Level 1
10 9 0 3
Message 5 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I had exactly the same thing happen to me.

My first call to HP for repair guidance led me to a support representative who quoted me a repair quote greater than $300.

In Amazon product reviews for HP laptops I found:

[edited]

I made quite an effort writing to that email.

HP got back to me to discuss my issue and quoted me a repair price of just over $200 and would discount it to about $120. I didn't bite.

I wrote to the email again in a nice way talking about this forum and all the hinge discussions, something about the hinge not being a "sixsigma" design...

About a week later another HP representative contacted me and offered a free repair. But only this once the representative warned. When I get the laptop back I am selling it.

0 Kudos
onlye
4 3 0 0
Message 6 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Same issue here.  This is the 4th HP laptop my family has that the hinges have broken.  I continue to use HP laptops but am shopping for a replacement now.  HP needs to hire some engineers that can redesign their laptop hinges.  This is a wide spread HP issue that has existed for years and across multiple products.  I am careful with my laptops and this is not from abuse.  My HP laptop is used primarly as a desktop and the lid is opened or closed only a few times per month.

eric
0 Kudos
danny-r
Retired
Retired
8,250 7,081 144 478
Message 7 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@onlye

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum.

I work on behalf of HP
0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation