cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
Level 3
42 30 4 11
Message 1 of 7
Flag Post

HP ENVY Possible Overheating While Watching Streaming Videos

HP Recommended
HP ENVY TS-M7-J020DX
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

These issues began 1 week ago. My HP ENVY TS-M7-J020DX laptop is covered by an HP Care Service Plan with 3-year on site support, and I have also opened a support ticket # [Personal Information Removed]. But I hope that someone on this forum may have experienced similar issues, described below, and may suggest a solution.

Here's issues that I observed starting on 05/11/2015:

Auto toggling between Desktop and Start screen
Start screen sometimes jiggles or shakes
Loss of mouse control, pointer doesn't respond
Sometimes can't see cursor or see two cursors, 1 always in upper left corner
Sometimes USB printer or a USB thumb drive is not recognized
Some programs open or close automatically

ALL of these problems are intermittent and appear to be heat-related, get worse after streaming Amazon videos or using multiple applications simultaneously, and running laptop for extended periods of time.

Here's what I've done so far:

Shut down and rebooted
Restored to 05/10/2015
Ran Troubleshoot from Control Panel
Ran Kaspersky complete A/V scan for 8 hours, no threats found
Ran Malwarebytes complete scan,  no threats found
Disabled Mouse Pad while external mouse is present
Replaced Logitech cordless mouse with GE cordless mouse (no positive benefits)
Placed laptop on four 2-inch blocks for better ventilation
Installed Core Temp freeware to monitor each of the 4 CPU cores (Suspect that CPU or GPU fan is not working properly)
Installed HWiNFO64 Version 4.63-2510 Hardware Diagnostic Freeware
Uninstalled last 3 programs that were installed prior to problem issues
Cleaned and vacuumed the laptop case ventilation area
Installed 3-fan cooling stand ordered from Amazon
Emptied Windows Temp files

HP Support Technician instructed me to shut down laptop, remove battery, unplug external power and all external devices, hold down power key for 20 seconds to clear static charges, then restart to BIOS holding F10 key, and perform other BIOS functions. Laptop also passed all built-in F2 Hardware Diagnostic Tests.

Laptop was more stable elevated on two-inch wooden blocks at 4 corners which provided better ventilation, and is also running better on cooling stand. However, if I watch streaming videos for more than 30 minutes, same described issues recur. My theory is that video card GPU or CPU are overheating, as this appears to be heat-related and intensified issues.

Questions follow:

# 1 - Has anyone observed similar probems?
# 2 - Is it possible to measure GPU temperatures on HP ENVY TS-M7-J020DX laptop? This function is not enabled on my machine.
# 3 - Is it likely that replacing Intel HD Graphics 4600 card or fan on Intel Core i7-4700MQ CPU may correct these issues?

# 4 - Any other ideas or suggestions?

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.

Cheers,
Joel

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Level 17
Level 17
47,454 41,701 4,562 12,051
Message 2 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The Intel HD4600 graphics solution is an SOC (system on a chip) video solution that is part of the CPU installed in your notebook's systemboard. You would have to replace the CPU to replace it. 

You can download and install RealTemp 3.06 to see the core temps. As seen in the following image, it is installed on my HP product loan Omen 15 notebook. The CoreTemp utility available at another website has software that reports back to mama, so I would not install that one if I were you.

coretemps.PNG

I am not an HP Employee.
Don't forget to click on Accept as Solution if my post or reply helped you resolve your issue.
You can say thanks by giving me a Kudo if my reply helped. To give a Kudo just click on the

For laptops, use the Fn+Esc keystroke while logged into Windows to locate. the Product number
Highlighted
Level 3
Level 3
38 39 3 7
Message 3 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

As you mentioned that you have logged a support call to resolve your case, I would agree that logic says that since you have elevated the unit it has since been better.

HP may replace the heatsink and fan as it may not be performing as it should. That will be decided once they have most likely asked you to further troubleshoot if required.

I am a HP emplyee and all advice given is of my own opinion and not of HP

I am a HP Employee
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 3
42 30 4 11
Message 4 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Erico,

Thank you for the information that the Intel HD4600 graphics card is part of the notebook's CPU. I also didn't know about the RealTemp 3.06 application. I have been currently monitoring my system with HWiNFO64 Version 4.63-2510, see http://www.hwinfo.com/download.php. Using this application, the GPU part of the CPU package reports its temperature as "CPU GT Cores", and the CPU part of the whole chip as "CPU IA Cores". "CPU Package" is then the
averaged temperature of the entire package. Many other data perimeters are also monitored.

Since using my laptop on the HAVIT® HV-F2056 15.6"-17" laptop cooler for almost 2 days, it has been operating more stably, and with fewer of the incidents reported previously.

Current CPU package temp is 63°C, minimum 54°C, maximum 80°C. Thanks again.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 3
42 30 4 11
Message 5 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi HP_Engineer,

Thanks for your comments. I would be very pleased to have the issue resolved by replacing the heat sink and CPU fan. I hope this can be done onsite.

Please see my previous reply for updated information on how using the cooling stand has improved performance and decreased the occurrance of previously observed issues. It looks like I'm on the right track.

Thanks again.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 3
Level 3
38 39 3 7
Message 6 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

As you have indicated, your carepack is 3 Years ON SITE. Thats why it is good to have such good coverage!

Take care and thank you for you rinput 🙂

I am a HP emplyee and all advice given is of my own opinion and not of HP

I am a HP Employee
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 3
42 30 4 11
Message 7 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi HP_Engineer,

HP Support has told me that onsite service is not feasible because it is used only to change certain known defective parts on a very short list of items. They told me that changing the heatsink and CPU fan would be an inadequate solution if the issue is more extensive, such as damage to the motherboard.

They want me to ship my laptop to their Indiana repair center, in a return shipping box that is being sent by Fedex that includes bubble wrap, a prepaid shiping label, and other instructions. They said that the turn around time is 5 to 10 business days and there is no charge for this service. They also said that the repair process may involve re-formatting the C drive to restore the machine to original factory out-of-box conditions, in case this issue is being caused by a software conflict.

Now I am not sure how to proceed. I depend on my computer for my work as a journalist. Although all data is stored on backup external hard drives and USB thumb drives, reconfiguring my machine and reinstalling all software and settings would be very time consuming, in addition to the loss of access for as much as 2 weeks.

My HP ENVY laptop has been stable and without issues for the past 6 days, operating continuously and running multiple programs with high CPU and memory loads.

There is 1-1/2 years left (almost 18 months) on my 3-year Service Plan. Should I continue to use my machine until this problem reappears or worsens? Or, should I just bite the bullet, do a full backup of my C Drive using Acronis True Image, then pack up the computer and ship it off to the HP Repair Center in Indiana?

I expected that a simple 1 hour onsite service call would fix this issue, but that is now off the table.

What do you think I should do? Thanks for your thoughts.

Cheers,

Joel

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation