Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
4 3 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post

HP ENVY TOUCHSMART 15-j134 Notebook PC (Energy Star) - SWITCHES OFF AFTER 20-30 MINUTES!!!

HP Recommended
HP ENVY TOUCHSMART 15-j134
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My laptop just switches off after approximately 20-30 minutes of being on. This occurs both when the battery is in and when is has been removed. It is not POWERING DOWN, but rather just blanking out like all power has suddenly been switched off. Prior to this happening there had been no recent software updates and it had not been malfunctioning in any other way. Once it swiches off it will restart as normally as if it were being powered on for the first time after being switched off. There are no error messages coming up. I've checked the battery using hp diagnostic tool and this came up fine. Also as I've stated it happens even when the battery is not in place.

Please could anyone shed any light on why this is happening. I've noticed that doing a Google search this has happened to others, but there is no reports on what the problem may be or indeed how to fix it.

Thanks

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Level 17
Level 17
42,713 42,503 6,789 11,851
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Have you tried running a full component scan in the UEFI diagnostics? F2 as you power up. Cutting out like that is usually a bad hard drive, bad memory or a bad video chip on the motherboard. The diagnostics will test for any of those hardware issues. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
4 3 0 0
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

No, I haven't tried what you've suggested. I'll do so and report back. I do however, have a concern that should trying to run this last longer than 20 minutes the machine will switch off. I will try to run the test regardless.

Thanks fr replying so promptly.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
4 3 0 0
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Huffer,

I've tried doing as you suggested but unfortuately as I suspected my machine switched off after it's usual 20-30 minute mark of being on.

So once again I'm back to square one. It is completely impossible to run any kind of diagnostic, which will take longer than 20 or 30 minutes to complete, as the machine will switch itself off.

Are you able to recommend any alternate solution??

Many thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 17
Level 17
42,713 42,503 6,789 11,851
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

It is likely overheating and is going to need to be taken to a competent technician. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
4 3 0 0
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Huffer, thanks for your assistance, but the machine is definitely not over heating. I've caved in and have contacted HP who state they believe the mother board will require changing.

Thanks for taking the time to come to my aid.

Cheers
0 Kudos
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation