Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
jorgenrique Top Student
Top Student
3 0 1
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP ENVY TOUCHSMART M6 KEYBOARD STOPPED WORKING

I'm using an HP ENVY m6 running Windows 8 and the keyboard just stopped working. I reinstalled the keyboard driver but still not working. I connected a USB keyboard and it works fine, also I resotred the original windows 8 OS from the hard drive but still the same problem.

At the start up the keyboard works fine, I can start the setup menu, navigate, etc. the keyboard works fine. I use the keyboard diagnostic from the BIOS and the keyboard works perfectly.

I'm really confused with this problem. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

4 REPLIES
Retired
Retired
7336 357 761
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello @jorgenrique,

Welcome to the HP Forums, I hope you enjoy your experience! To help you get the most out of the HP Forums I would like to direct your attention to the HP Forums Guide First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More.

I understand that your notebook computer's keyboard has stopped working, and I would be happy to assist you in this matter!

To return the functionality to your keyboard, I recommend following the steps in this document on Notebook Keyboard Troubleshooting (Windows 8). This should help with the intermittent functions of your keyboard keys.

Please re-post with the results of your troubleshooting, and I look forward to your reply!

Regards Smiley Happy

MechPilot
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!
0 Kudos
Tags (1)
jorgenrique Top Student
Top Student
3 0 1
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello ,

Thanks for your reply and I´m sorry for my late response. I followed the instructions from the link you suggested me but nothing change with the keyboard problem.

The symptom is: before windows startup, the "F12" led key is amber and the keyboard is fully functional, you can go into the setup, navigate on it, etc. when windows 8 begin the startup the "F12" led key goes to white and immediatly the keyboard stops working, it is blocked.

I updated the BIOS, nothing changed.
I booted from a dvd an utility Ubuntu OS based, the problem is the same, with this utility I can choose a language, English or Deutsch, after I selected with the keyboard a language and the utility is started the keyboard is blocked.

I also boot a Linux based utility and immediatly after that the screen shows "mount 'us' characters map (or layout)  DONE"  the "F12" light key goes to white, and the keyboard is blocked.

Where do you think the problem is?

Thanks a lot for your help.

0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
7336 357 761
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi again jorgenrique,

It is  good to hear back from you!

Since the above steps did not resolve the issue, I recommend performing a backup and recovery of your operating system. This can be done by following this document on Backing Up Your Files (Windows 8), as well as Performing an HP system recovery (Windows 8). This should help return your system back to factory defaults.

If the issue persists, please call our technical support at 800-474-6836. If you live outside the US/Canada Region, please click the link below to get the support number for your region.

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/ww-phone-assist.html

I hope this helps!

Regards Smiley Happy

MechPilot
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!
0 Kudos
jorgenrique Top Student
Top Student
3 0 1
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi   ,

Thanks for your help, I performed the operating system recovery from the BIOS before but the problem is the same. So, I'll call to technical support in my country.

Many thanks again for your help.

Best regards,

jorgenrique.

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation