Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
ARIA_UK Honor Student
Honor Student
2 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP ENVY TouchSmart 15-j181na BROKEN (Left side) HINGE

HP ENVY TouchSmart 15-j181na N
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My left hinge has recently become visibly broken, with the top keyboard metal casing and the bottom black plastic casing becoming seperated near the hinge. I have also noticed the fan making rattling sounds as if broken pieces from the hinge have entered it. The right hinge also was slightly opening the case but tighting the screw on that side has kept that from reoccuring. Although I put in a new screw into the left hand side from enderneath the case, it has since fallen though into the casing or out completely due to the broken hinge part inside.

I have seen many posts on here talking about a similar problem and many have been frustrated with the poor repsonse from HP who haven't wanted to repair the laptops for free in these cases, as this seems to be a design fault. 

I am no longer under warranty and do not have £100 + to fork out on a laptop which was roughly £800 RRP which is not even 2 years old due to a design fault.

Is there any other way of repairing.

Also, I had someobody look at this, and they say this can only be repaired with a new top case part number 720570-001.

However, this isn't directly sold by HP at the moment, only through resellers and it seems that is roughly £180.

Any help on this issue would be much appreciated as I am a student and tutor  and so I rely on this laptop very much and it is vital that it is working without issue at the moment as it is the middle of exam period.

Regards,

ARIA

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
16948 227 918
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP ENVY TouchSmart 15-j181na BROKEN (Left side) HINGE

@ARIA_UK

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum.

I work on behalf of HP
0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation