cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Yankee_In_TX
Level 3
59 48 2 2
Message 1 of 20
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

HP ENVY dv7 Quad i7-3630QM slow wireless connection

I have a 2-Wire adapter.  I have tried different channels.  At first I just had super slow upload speeds.

After changing channels on my router, my upload speed has also come to a snail's pace.

Other devices in the same room run fine and test out fine.

Windows 8 x 64

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2692213495.png

I tried online HP suport but did not get very far.

0 Kudos
19 REPLIES 19
Yankee_In_TX
Level 3
59 48 2 2
Message 2 of 20
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

"We notice you have created a second service request. We will be happy to assist you with your support needs, please click here to access your original service request and pick up where we left off. Please note that we have closed the duplicate service request at this time. Thank you."

They had me uninstall Norton and then when I rebooted the 'click here' didn't work.

0 Kudos
Yankee_In_TX
Level 3
59 48 2 2
Message 3 of 20
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Turns out the issue was being upstairs, the router is downstairs.

Any known signal issues with Ralink RT 5390R wifi card?  Don't have this issue with the iPad or 2 other laptops.

0 Kudos
Level 9
2,594 2,628 114 526
Message 4 of 20
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Hey Yankee_In_TX,

I'm sorry you're running into this issue with the Ralink wireless card. Please go to the below link and in the top section you'll see the RT539x model listed. Then look under the corresponding Windows version column (Windows 8), and click on the latest (topmost) version.  

It looks like the latest version is 5.0.23.0 for Windows 8. There was a similar issue on another thread that was solved with these drivers from this website. Please let me know if this helps or if you have any questions!  🙂

0 Kudos
Yankee_In_TX
Level 3
59 48 2 2
Message 5 of 20
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

All signs point to faulty wifi card, but thanks for the new driver suggestion.  Windows only finds 5.0.9.0ish as the latest.

If you go into a different room than the router the signal plummets.  I have tried this on multiple networks and my computer's drop is drastic compared to other devices.

Tomorrow I'll try a USB wifi card and see if the issue is resolved.  I may have gotten a faulty unit.  I figure if it were a design flaw there would be plenty of threads online and I can't really find any.

0 Kudos
Level 9
2,594 2,628 114 526
Message 6 of 20
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Also before you buy a USB wifi card, check to make sure both antenna caps are snapped snugly onto the wireless card. I've seen cases where an antenna cap came unsnapped slightly and caused extreme signal loss. 

See the generic picture below. On your wireless card there will be two wires attached to the wireless card with silver or gold caps and they have a distinct snap when they are fully connected. You could try simply reseating the card itself. Just unsnap those caps (they pull directly upward), unscrew the retainer screw(s), pull the card out and put it back in. This will cause Windows to re-detect it and can help many cases. Could save you a few dollars on a USB wireless card too. Let me know what you find out either approach you take please 🙂

EDIT: Adding the picture I referenced in the paragraph above, in case anyone is following this thread or comes across this thread in the future. 

WirelessAntennaCable.jpg
0 Kudos
Yankee_In_TX
Level 3
59 48 2 2
Message 7 of 20
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

I tried detaching and re-attaching the antenna caps.  When I get home I'll remove the whole adapter and put it back.

0 Kudos
Level 9
2,594 2,628 114 526
Message 8 of 20
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Ok let me know how it goes with reseating the card. If you still get the same symptoms, I would suggest to go ahead with your plan of getting a USB wireless card and testing that 🙂

0 Kudos
Yankee_In_TX
Level 3
59 48 2 2
Message 9 of 20
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Re-seated the card.  Windows is not detecting it.  Tried to do a manual install and that didn't work.

Have tried Windows trouble shooting and no problems found.  Currently hard wired.

0 Kudos
Yankee_In_TX
Level 3
59 48 2 2
Message 10 of 20
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

To try and fix the lack of detection of my dvd/bluray drive support had me restore the system software (to out of the box settings, scrubbed everything).

The WiFi card was detected again, but still having speed issues when upstairs.

I'm returning the laptop to Costco because HP's next step for the dvd/bluray drive is hardware repairs.

I'm ordering a new one, hopefully it will work.

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation