Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
PCViking Student
Student
1 0 0
Message 1 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP ENVY dv7, complete reformat w/o disc

I bought my HP ENVY dv7 14 mos ago, it came with Win8. Of course the ENVY did not come with an OS disc.

2 weeks ago I picked up a virus, it's some kind of shopping virus? annoying to the point of rendering my ENVy almost useless. I have been abled to back-up anything I want to save.

System Restore failed. I tried each point possible. That's OK, since I would rather just completely reformat and start my HO from factory fresh.

-> Here my question: What is the sequence of keys (and when) to access the imbedded OS.

15 REPLIES
Provost Provost
Provost
45220 4256 10768
Message 2 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

If you made a recovery disk set or usb recovery media as you notebook software advised you to,  then great.  

it is time to boot to it and perform a factory image recovery.

If you did not create the recovery media, then you will probably find that the least expensive option is to purchase a recovery disk set from HP or an HP partner. (cost is usually @ $25.00)

How to order a recovery disk set

If you can accesss the Computer Management snapin and then Disk Management you may be in luck. Set the Recovery partition (usually it is the D: partition)  to active and restart the notebook. If your luck hold then it should boot right into the HP Recovery Manager. That is where you can choose factory image recovery. 

mark as active.PNG

You can say thanks for my help by clicking on the Thumbs up .
If your problem is solved or question answered by my post, please click the Accepted Solution button in that post.

0 Kudos
bergusp Tutor
Tutor
11 0 1
Message 3 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Well, Win8 sure is different than any other OS I've tried to reload.

I was able to create a recovery USB. Then boot the ENVY from the recovery USB. Apparently the ENVY went back to pristine (only guessing by the screen?), but it now says locked by the administrator and I cannot get past the lock... so, I cannot really see what I have? How to get past the admin-lock and complete the process.

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
45220 4256 10768
Message 4 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Had you passworded the BIOS? 

Did you make an account with admin priveleges?

I would run the factory image recovery again and this time make an extra account with admin priveleges just in case. 

If your problem is solved or question answered by my post, please click the Accepted Solution button in that post.

0 Kudos
bergusp Tutor
Tutor
11 0 1
Message 5 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Had you passworded the BIOS? 

No. I have done nothing to adress the BIOS.

Did you make an account with admin priveleges?

When the ENVY was new, I gave it a name and password, but I have done nothing to address the admin priveledges.

I would run the factory image recovery again and this time make an extra account with admin priveleges just in case.

When I ran to factory image recovery from the USB, it never gave me any other options once I chose to make any other accounts.

Overall, I find the options and this whole process shockingly automated, simplified and limited.

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
45220 4256 10768
Message 6 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

bergusp wrote:

Overall, I find the options and this whole process shockingly automated, simplified and limited.

Considering that the recovery Manager is a one stop method of instaling the operating system, drivers and applications,  your statement begs the question.  What exactly were you expecting to find? Would you find it simpler to have an operating system license ony that left you to find all of the drivers and no applications, except on the support server, on your own?  

The Recovery Manager does what it is supposed to do and gives you options that have been requested by owners of manufactured laptops.  

We are here to help the people who find themselves a bit digitally challenged to resolve their issues. Let us help you. Try the recovery manager again. Choose a factory image recovery. This time write down the password and give your user account admin priveleges before you log out this time.   

0 Kudos
bergusp Tutor
Tutor
11 0 1
Message 7 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Good Morning,

We do not need to have a digital philosophy discussion. I have had PC's since the 1980's/ In the DOS days, I built PC's. When PC's came with OS disks a skilled user could do their own maintainance. I am a skilled user. Win8 has changed the ruiles. My ENVY did not come with disks. I am forced to find HP's back door work around to access the imbedded OS, which someone thought was a better idea than providing a 12 cm piece of p[lastic. That is why we are having this comversation.

I made the USB recovery drive (I used a 32Gb drive so there would be lots of space). When I booted, I got the 'welcome to recovery manager' window. There I chose the last option in the laft hand column: "System Recovery Environment", then on the next window, confirmed to continue. The next window was to troubleshoot and open 'recovery manager'. The next window gaveme the option of restoring the system to an earlier state (I had tried recovery points before this and failed (due to the virus?) unable to use them... so, I chose "Minimalized Image Recovery". Then I got the "Welcome to HP Recovery Manager" which explained what it would do and let you choose "Next". The next 2 windows were showing progress and complete. When I got locked by admin, I tried again and got the same result. That is when I wrote you.

You may be very familair with "HP Recovery Manager for Win*" but I am only by experience. It give you a path but no options.

What I want; is to run recovery manager and then have my PC open 'software pristine',like a new PC (wrt OS).  I should not have to buy a new HD and new OS to do this?

OK, I re-ran the HP recovery manager, it came to a window "restoration incomplete" I have 3 options: save log, details and retry. Save wanted a disc to save onto: did that. Then the window would not go away, so I hit retry. Now the ENVY does not recognize my USB recovery drive. I should add that I do have a dos admin prompt window: "Administrator:X:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe". Btw, shouldn't the ENVY be 64 bit?

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
45220 4256 10768
Message 8 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

When I boot to the USB recovery media that I made and then to the Recovery Manager I choose the I need help  now  section . In that section I choose Factory Image  and then the process begins. It will install the operating system and most of the driver and applications your notebok was delivered with. At the end of the recovery the notebookshould be ready to use. Some drivers may not get installed, but you can enter the recovery manager while booted into Windows 8 to choose Install Dricers and applications to install the ones that the recovery did not install for you.  You can also run the HP Support Assistant and use its tune-up application. The tune-up application will loate drivers for any device that still needs to have them installed.The reason that not all drivers get insalled is that not all Envy 7 notebooks are configured the same. 

recovery1a.png

0 Kudos
bergusp Tutor
Tutor
11 0 1
Message 9 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you for providing a bit more OS, HP & Win8 knowledge.

1. I did click on system recovery.

2. Now I have restoration incomplete

3. The 'Restoration Incomplete" window will not allow me to retry. It asked for me to insert media and then will not read the USB.

Apparently the USB Drive did a half-ass job of recovering the system and now lacks USB drivers?

I do have that DOS prompt window: Administrator:X:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe

Prompt:    x:\windows\system32> ___

I'm very 'dead in water' now... help!

0 Kudos
bergusp Tutor
Tutor
11 0 1
Message 10 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

OK, would it just be best to buy a new HD for my laptop and do a full install of Win7? Will there be more surprises in the BIOS that would prevent a clean install of Win7?

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation