Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Vienna_Calling Honor Student
Honor Student
2 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP Elite x2 1012 G1 - no longer booting

HP Elite x2 1012
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Bought mine about 11 weeks ago and it was a little wonky from the start, nothing major, just a few minor issues which I didn't want to RMA immediately since they were not that much of a big deal.

The power buitton often did not react properly.  In the beginning it was 1-2 presses for the tablet to activate, in the last 2 weeks it got worse to 3-4 presses before one would register. I did not immediately RMA it, since the issue was not that bad in the beginning.

A couple of weeks ago the sound chip stopped working, the whole chip was gone from the device manager. The drivers could no longer be installed with the HP tool or from the device manager. Manually downloading and installing them fixed this.

The real issue began last saturday: friday evening I did some work in tablet mode, with the keyboard undocked and then turned it off. On saturday I turned it on again - and my 1012 took forever to boot, there were no scheduled updates or anything. It just stuck at the hp logo for minutes before reaching the windows login. At that point I docked the keyboard and wanted to enter my password, and the presses on the keyboard buttons no longer registered. The touchpad worked however.

So I rebooted and got this message, which is probably a bios error:

[​IMG]

Took a few minutes, then I reached the windows login again, and the keyboard still didn't work. At that point I tried a couple of different things, like docking on and off, booting with and without the keyboard attached, checked the connectors if any were bent or had broken off, but nothing helped. Also about every two reboots I got the DXE update screen again.

So I wanted to get into the Bios to check for recovery/repair options., couldn't get in with keyboard presses so I tried it in tablet mode (volume key pressed down) and it didn't work. Same for the keyboard/tablet options to get into the HP manager to start a factory reset. I guess the reason for this were the highly increased loading times and the constant DXE Updates.

Since this didn't work I logged into Windows using the on-screen keyboard and started the factory reset from the HP software center. Factory reset started and rebooted the 1012 and during the process I got a "Biosrecutil stopped working" error. Guess this means Bios recovery utility. After that the factory reset hard locked. (left it running for another 2 hours to make sure, nothing happened).

Rebooted the 1012 and got into Windows (after another DXE Update) and the factory reset seemed to catch up, but then ended in a Red Screen:

[​IMG]

Of course the keyboard commands in the window could not be followed, because the keyboard had stopped working in the first place. I let it sit there for a while, just in case there was any activity in the background and then tried turning it off. Which also no longer worked at this point. I had to hold down the Power button for about 2 minutes before it finally shut down. After that the 1012 could no longer be turned on (tried several times), no matter if it was plugged in or in battery mode.

RMA'd it and waiting if they will repair the device. Given the number of issues I had, I hope for a new one from a different batch.

Here's an extra little gem about UPS - the HP support was great - UPS was supposed to pick it up on the 10th. But they didn't show up on the 10th and neither on the 11th. Since HP had the tracking number I had to call them again and they told me that the UPS driver was not able to find my street. I live in Vienna, and in the German language we use the "ß", which is also in my streetname. When I enter my street in Googlemaps it immediately pops up correctly. HP Business-Support told me that this was the 10th case on that day, where a HP RMA issue was screwed up by UPS.

We decided to cancel the UPS pickup and I took the 1012 to the store where I had bought it, they will handle the rest. Might take a few extra days but at least it's on the way now.

My question: did I do anything wrong judging from the description or is there something else I could have tried at that point ?

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
16475 1325 2285
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

I hope you get it working soon, for you reference though i did have to go through great lengths to find a few advices and here they are:

You likely need to go into  the boot device menu in the BIOS I believe it is either f2 or the (ESC) escape key

select to boot FROM THE HP DVD/CD burner, then place the disks as instructed into the

burner....

MOST IMPORTANT MAKE SURE ONLY YOUR MONITOR, HP KEYBOARD, AND HP MOUSE are plugged into the PC.....

DO NOT leave your wifi or LAN modem cables plugged into your PC.

USE a replacelment hard drive that is similar in specs to the OEM unit

eg...replace a 1TB HDD with the same, ect.

this should normally help avoid the "RED SCREEN OF DEATH", scary name i must say...but this is what the people are calling it.

Let me know if the tech's working on your pc get back to you with a solution of any sort.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Vienna_Calling Honor Student
Honor Student
2 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for the advice.

I will keep you updated once I get the device back. But it's gonna take a few weeks. HP said not to expect my 1012 back before the 30th of May and the store where I bought it, said it would be closer to 6 weeks.

Shame really, it's been a while since I enjoyed working on a new business device that much. And then the thing just died after only 11 weeks.

:(

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation