Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
EliteBook 8570p
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Hello,

I have a company HP Elitebook 8570p notebook.
Previously used it employee who has been fired. Unfortunately, set a password on the BIOS.

How do I reset the password to get into the BIOS.

Please help!

Thank you.

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi,

Unfortunately, business machines such as Probooks or Elitebooks have more stringent security than consumer models - they don't produce 'halt codes', the password cannot be derived from the Serial No. and the code is stored in non-volatile memory so removing the RTC cell will not reset the password in this case.

If you Contact HP Business support they should be able to send you a customised SMC.bin file which you can use at boot to reset the password.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Dariuszl.

Contact HP.

http://welcome.hp.com/country/w1/en/contact_us.html

Or download this file.

https://mega.co.nz/#!VR83WBTA!5WWU8tAv4RxKBw9Tl-SRhJEvQzfosj1jYGZURCpOSxs

Unzip to a new folder.

Insert clean USB flash drive.

Then run USB Image tool.

Choose the flash drive then click on RESTORE.

After restore remove flash drive.

Insert  flash drive into locked laptop and boot.”If HDD is installed remove before booting.”

At C:\OUTPUT   type CD..   “Then hit enter”

Then type HPBR    “Then hit enter”

Since your model is not listed select “SHOTGUN.”

After reboot repeat same as above.

Let us know the result so I can update the list.

REO

I must inform you that these services are not endorsed by HP, and that HP is not responsible for any damage that may arise to your system by using these services. Please be aware that you do this at your own risk.

HP Recommended

Thank you, unfortunately, but I received a message that this laptop is not supported.

HP Recommended

Sorry to here that Dar.

I just need to know if you tried the SHOTGUN method???

You may want to try this.

Select   “FIRST RUN”

Then select model 8540p???

After reboot repeat same above but this time SELECT “SECOND RUN”

REO

I must inform you that these services are not endorsed by HP, and that HP is not responsible for any damage that may arise to your system by using these services. Please be aware that you do this at your own risk.

HP Recommended

HP layout required for smc load.PNG

HP Recommended

After several attempts with the SMC.bin file I was provided by HP staff failing I have found the reasons why my laptop (8570p) wouldn't attempt to open the SMC file.

First reason why the SMC.bin file loaded on a clean formatted FAT32 usb stick wouldn't load was due to I believe the boot priority. Network>Hard drive>USB.  - This assumption was incorrect. Change the USB stick to a branded USB3.0 type and it worked like a charm. The USB (2.0) stick which I used on several attempts worked with my 820g1 laptop's bios reset but not the 8570p's bios. Both were 16gigs FAT32.

The work around (and second reason) is to create a FAT32 100mb partition on your local drive like HP mentions in their instructions but PLEASE DON'T place the SMC.bin file in a folder of any sorts including "HEWLETT-PACKARD" . I have absolutely no clue why they ask you to create that folder. Place it to the root of the drive you created.

Hope this helps others

P.S. Avoid the third party program if you have a xx70 series..Total waste of time. I even tried to inject my SMC.bin file into that program but that failed as well.

HP Recommended

Hi,

I just bought an EB 8570p second hand and the bios is also password protected...

Can you help?

Thanks in advance.

RQ

HP Recommended

Please i need the smc.bin file

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.