Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
EliteBook8730w
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Dear Support,

I kindly ask you to support me with the BIOS password of my laptop - EliteBook 8730w, s/n : [Personal Information Removed], p/n: NR379AW#ABB, servicetag: [Personal Information Removed].

As details, it is an old laptop, which the company disposed and was hand-over to the employee.

LEt me know please if you need more details - I will provide them to you,

Regards and thanks in advance,

Michaela

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Try entering

e9lo7ggs86

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If my post was helpful or you just want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Hi,

First of all thanks for your quick answer. Unfortunatelly the password provided doesn't work (I typed the string as you wrote, but I'm asked to introduce the password again and again - without success)

Other details:

- it's about the BIOS Administrator passord (after restarting the laptop I have pressed ESC / F10)

Could you please advice?

Thanks again in advance,

Michaela

HP Recommended

HP Support,

Please, I need support from your part!! The issue is still open!

Thanks in advance,

Micha

HP Recommended

This is the forum, not Support per se. We are volunteers and not HP employees. 

e9lo7ggs86

lower case E, nine, lower case L,  lower case O (not zero),  seven,  lower case G,  lower case G, eight, six

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If my post was helpful or you just want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Sure - I have introduced the correct string (with lower case and figures) - no chance to unlock the BIOS:-(

The same behavior (asking again the password...).

It's somehow an issue having Windows 10 preview installed on the laptop?

kr,

Micha

HP Recommended

@Mich1 wrote:

Sure - I have introduced the correct string (with lower case and figures) - no chance to unlock the BIOS:-(

The same behavior (asking again the password...).

It's somehow an issue having Windows 10 preview installed on the laptop?

kr,

Micha

No.  It has nothing to do with the installed OS. 

It is just that your notebook is an enterprise business edition. It has far more stringent security than a consumer version does. 

Take a read of the following thread.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Recovery/6550b-BIOS-password-chip-replacment/m-p/2644701#M2720...

I will ask for your issue to be escalated.

HP Recommended

Hi @Mich1 ,

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publically post ( serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Regards,
George

I work for HP
HP Recommended

Hi,

Thanks to all of you.

I have finally handled with my BIOS password with a free tool (HP Pro/Elitebook BIOS REset Utility for DOS) (as detail, the laptop was indeed a company laptop, but WITHOU special security locks/setup)

once again, thanks to all

Micha

HP Recommended

Hello!

I have this very same issue on my hands, a hand-me-down laptop from work, an old EliteBook 8730w. What's the way to proceed?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.