cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
nick22202
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

HP Elitebook 2530p, install video drivers and computer no longer restarts XPsp3

HP Recommended

Hello,

After installing the video drivers on my HP Elitebook 2530p, the system no longer completes a "restart".  Instead of shutting down, and coming back up, it goes past the "windows is shutting down" message, and then sits there with a blank background and the mouse cursor.  the cursor does not move.

OS = Windows XP sp3 (32bit)

RAM = 4GB (does the same with 2GB)

Video drivers: I've tried both the current video drivers (which produces yet another problem where the laptop screen no longer displays, you have to attach a VGA monitor to see what's going on).

With the 2nd most recent drivers the display is ok, but the computer no longer restarts.

Removing the drivers does not resolve the problem.  Reloading XP and manually installing drivers it restarts fine up until the video drivers are installed.

Thanks in advance

-Nick

2 REPLIES 2
melanchete
Level 6
672 671 22 90
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Sounds like either bad video driver or the incorrect one.  Is your BIOS up to date?
Pavilion DV7-1285dx Notebook, Windows 7 64bit, Intel X2 P8600 2.40GHz, Nvidia GeForce 9600M, 6GB RAM, 2x 500GB HD(s)
Was this reply helpful? Yes No
erico
Level 17
Level 17
47,969 40,049 4,651 12,425
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have a few suggestions for you.

1) Start Windows XP in Safe Mode by tapping the F8 key as your laptop shows the BIOS screen. That will load the Windows basic vga driver, so it should work.

2) in Safe Mode go to Device Manager and select your display adapter --> properties and then roll back the driver.

This is where you can troubleshoot to find out which driver will not cause issues with your laptop.

I am not an HP Employee.
Was this reply helpful? Yes No
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation