cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Stef_Hahn
3 1 0 1
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

HP Elitebook 8740w with 8.00 GB ram (3.93 GB usable)

HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I'm running 64-bit Win7 Home Premium on an Elitebook 8740w (with quad-core i7 Q-820) with four 2 GB sticks of RAM installed. I've been inserting and removing the RAM in various configurations, but it only recognizes 3.93 GB of the 8.00 GB. How can I make it recognize the full amount of RAM?

YES, I have already tried all the suggested methods commonly found for this error, including:

• Make sure Maximum Memory is unchecked.
  • Ran Windows Memory Diagnostic (twice) and the results come back clean.
  • Move RAM sticks to different slots and make sure they're fully seated.
  • Remove the cmos battery to force the BIOS to reset itself. 

There are seemingly hundreds of users with this issue, judging by the number of posts I've found today, and there must be some solution to it...or is there?

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
banhien
Level 19
Level 19
90,389 90,266 11,605 24,897
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

Please try these steps:

Hold down the Windows Key and press R (or just Click Start),
Type msconfig in the Run box (or Search box) and hit Enter,  
In the System Configuration windows, click the Boot tab,
Click the Advanced Options button,
Un-stick the box next to 'Maximum Memory',  
Click OK,
Click Apply and then OK to get out,
Restart the notebook for the change to take effect.

Regards,

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

0 Kudos
Stef_Hahn
Author
3 1 0 1
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks, but I already found that solution multiple times, and tried it, to no avail. 

I have also tried moving the RAM sticks into different slots, and resetting the cmos by pulling the battery.

0 Kudos
Peopleunit
1 1 0 0
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Sounds to me that it may be because you are running a 32 bit version of Windows. Ram usage beyond 4gb requires a 64 bit operating system.

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation