Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

HP Envy 17, Win 8.1, On-board Keyboard.

Started when I tried logging into my laptop. The pass word I used had a "1" in it and I noticed that the "1" key was turning "Caps Lock" on. Changed my password to something much simpler and it was saying the password was wrong. Hooked up a USB Keyboard I have and was finally able to log in. Once in the system was making a noise like a key was being held down, but none were. Checked the keyboard setting to make sure Sticky Keys, Filter Keys, etc. were not enabled. At this point, the USB keyboard was having the same issue. Tried doing a system restore , but it failed. Finally I did a hard reboot (Power off, unplug ac adapter, remove battery for at least 1 min) After that the USB keyboard works fine and it's not making the sound like a key is being held down, but the on-board keyboard doesn't work at all. Made sure all drivers were up to date and also tried using it with the USB keyboard disconnected. The system recognizes that the keyboard is there, but none of the keys work. Is there any fixes for this or is it going to require me to send my laptop in for repairs?

16 REPLIES 16
HP Recommended

Hi,

While this may well be a hardware issue, it's always worth trying the following.

Unplug your USB Keyboard.

Open windows Control Panel, open Device Manager, expand Keyboards, right click on Standard PS/2 Keyboard and select Uninstall.

When this has completed, shut down the notebook by holding down the left Shift key as you click on Shutdown to temporarily prevent a hybrid boot. 

When done, unplug the AC Adapter and then remove the battery.  Hold down the Power button for 20 seconds.  Re-insert the battery and plug in the AC Adapter.

Tap away at the esc key as you start the notebook to see if this will launch the Start-up Menu - if it does, select f10 to enter the bios menu.  Press f5 to load the defaults ( this is sometimes f9, but the menu at the bottom will show the correct key ), use the arrow keys to select 'Yes' and hit enter.  Press f10 to save the setting and again use the arrow keys to select 'Yes' and hit enter.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Thank you for the reply. Unfortunately, this didn't work. There were a couple of things I noticed, though. First, when I closed my laptop without shutting down (thus locking it) and then opened it again with the USB keyboard plugged in, at least one key was repeatededly being entered in the Password box. I tried unplugging it and plugging it back in and it continued to do so. I then restarted with it still plugged in and it did the same thing. After that I tried rebooting with it unplugged and this is where I noticed the next thing. I pressed the right shift key of the onboard keyboard on instinct to bring up the password box and that worked, however once that box came up, no keys on the the on-board keyboard worked. I then plugged the USB keyboard back in and it worked fine. Logged in and still no response on any key on the onboard keyboard.

HP Recommended

I have the same problem. Is there away to fix this? Numerous keys get stuck when pressed or simply don't work at all. Does the keyboard need to be replaced?

HP Recommended

Same here with a recently bought a Envy 17-k201na.

I thought that it was me but then noted that the typing issues only occurred when I was using this machine and not any other.

•   The keyboard will ether fail to recognise an input (keystroke), this is the most prevalent issue; or will occasionally have a lengthy delay before the character is displayed.
  •   As for the touch-pad buttons !!! they feel as if they are broken, especially the right hand side one.

Is this a physical keyboard issue or a firmware problem?

• If it is hardware - it will be seeking a replacement.
  • If it is a known firmware issue, is there a fix available?
HP Recommended

Yes, I am also having an issue with missed keystrokes and delayed key echo.

But I can't afford to be without my computer for an extended period - I just want the keyboard swapped out while I wait.  Am I dreaming or is that feasible, Mr HP?

HP Recommended

My M17-N101DX keyboard just stopped working entirely.  I had for the first time plugged in a mouse, but this did not cause the keyboard to stop working immediately so I do not know if there is any connection.

Is there a set of keystrokes or any other input that I could have indadvertently done to cause this?

As the touch screen was still working, I restarted the computer and that restored the keyboard...for now.  If I could not have caused this, is there any known issue with this computer (Win 10 home)?  Otherwise...not a good sign 2 weeks into ownership.

HP Recommended

the idoit who made win 10 though all touch screen laptops are tablets or notebooks that dont have a num pad 

HP Recommended

the problem is with OS note the laptop 

HP Recommended

I just bought my Laptop about 3 weeks ago - My desktop has major issues so I grabbed my new laptop - well my new laptop is psychotic.  I work at home and have to have my computer available to me at all times and this is crazy. 

It will be working just fine for a time (which varies) and then all of the sudden my keys become hot keys flying windows open everywhere.  I noticed in particular the  L whether upper or lower case takes you back to the login - then after that it stops responding normally at all.  My favorite is the darn thing starts talking... telling me what each keystroke is!! 

I have a wireless keyboard attached, but that is not the issue as the on-board keyboard does the same thing. 

Another crazy thing is the mouse will go spastic and zoom to the upper right hand corner of the screen and try to close my browser.  That happened the first time I used it.  I went in and turned off everything I could find to do with tablet features which helps for awhile - additonally when this happens, on the right hand side of the screen, there are like bubles on the screen - not that the scren is damaged, but images of these bubbles... when it's doing that I am totaly toast.  Only solution is reboot.  Sometimes I have to reboot three,  four times  before it decides it's going to behave itself. 

This was an expensive laptop as it's an 5th gen I7 with all the features available except for the backlit keyborad, which I wanted but wasn't available.  Now I wish I had never bought this thing...

I saw a note that its the OS... if that is the case.. what the heck do we do??

Rutn in Arizona

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.