Having trouble signing in? Try this!
Ask questions. Help others.
The HP Community is here for you.
Post new question
Question

Note on archived topics.
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here, or click on "Post new question" above and select the appropriate board.
Honor Student
Message 1 of 13 (649 Views)

HP Envy 17t-j100 left hinge is broken

Product Name: HP ENVY 17 Notebook PC
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

As has happened with many other people, the left hinge on my laptop is breaking loose.  I just dumped out a bunch of loose plastic chips that were rattling around inside.  I have to hold the bottom half of the case closed to keep the hinge from prying the case open when closing the laptop.  The right hinge seems OK so far.  I assume I need to get this fixed...

Message 2 of 13 (648 Views)

Re: HP Envy 17t-j100 left hinge is broken

@RobW75080

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.
Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum.

I work on behalf of HP
Honor Student
Message 3 of 13 (638 Views)

Hello!

I seem to be having the exact same issue as you except Both hinges on my hp envy 15 touch smart broke about a year ago but the problem seems to now be intensifying. I've looked into the issue before and I'm waiting to see when HP will do a recall for this at it's clearly a widespread issue.

I hope we're able to get these repaired before the screen snaps off entirely!
Teacher
Message 4 of 13 (600 Views)

@Shyennevan       @RobW75080

The hinge issue on Envy laptops is something HP is well aware of, but refuses to acknowlege and handle in a fair way.

If you're in warranty, they will fix it quickly and professionally, with great customer service.  If you're out of warranty, it's a completely different story.

One person is charged $300 for the repair, the next $130.   HP should fix it for free or at the very least at COST... instead, they are making a substantial profit from fixing thier own design flaw. 

Read through this post about my experience for more info....  and be willing to fight.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware/Def​ective-Hinges-on-HP-Laptops-Envy/m-p/5337134/high...

Good Luck!

--Mike

Honor Student
Message 5 of 13 (593 Views)

Those hinges take a lot of strain, so it's no surprise there being issues with them breaking loose.  It's just something that needs to be fixed and this seems to be the place to initiate that.  I love the laptop in all other respects and hope to use it for many years to come.

Tutor
Message 6 of 13 (401 Views)

[ Edited ]

I purchased my Envy 17t-j100 Nov. 2013 to the tune of $1,268.91!  Had I known about this issue I wouldn't have.  I am now having the Dreaded Broken Hinge issue.  It is time HP does a recall on these PC's.  I spent way too much money to have to make an expensive repair like this after less than 3 years of use!!!  After only a few months they had to replace my power cord, I should have considered that to be a bad omen!  I now have pieces of plastic flying around my cooling fan and will NOT be paying for this repair!  As you stated this is a design flaw that HP is well aware of and should be voluntarily fixing! [content removed]

Message 7 of 13 (398 Views)

@terfig

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum.

I work on behalf of HP
Student
Message 8 of 13 (364 Views)

I have the same problem with my notebook as the others in this string.  Please advise how I can get parts or repairs.  Thank you. 

Tutor
Message 9 of 13 (355 Views)

Someone will most likely make contact with you through this forum but, expect to pay for this repair unless you are still in warranty.  It cost me $180 to have mine repaired, took approx. 1 week.  I'm not happy about this since it is a design flaw that HP has continued to produce since 2008.  In 2009 they did a recall but, failed to notify their customers.  Many missed out on the repair.  They continued to produce laptops with this flaw right through 2014 as far as I know.  This is unacceptable!  They should be making all these repairs for free!  Will I ever buy an HP computer again.  OH HECK NO!!!

Tutor
Message 10 of 13 (353 Views)

Thanks for bringing it to HP's attention.  Too bad you can't convince them they should be making these repairs for free considering it's a design flaw that has existed since 2008.  I purchased mine Nov. 2013, I would think that you would have realized you had a problem since you had a recall for this problem in 2009.  But, that didn't stop HP from continuing to make and sell a faulty product.  Then hang the cost of the repair on the customer ($180 for me) if the hinge fails after the warranty runs out.  Way to go HP!  Good way to lose business!  HP acknowledged they were responsible in 2009 by issuing a recall but, major fail by continuing to stick with a flawed design costing your customers hundreds of dollars for six years.  Totally unexcuseable!!!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation