cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

HP Envy 6-1006sa will not power on after screen replacement

HP Recommended
HP Envy 6-1006sa
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have my brothers laptop and have replaced the screen for him. It may not be relevant but I have also installed an SSD hard drive.

I removed the broken screen to get the part number to be able to order a new one.

While I was waiting for the new screen to be delivered, I connected a monitor via the HDMI port and installed Windows 10 Pro, anti-virus and anti-malware software along with numerous windows updates. All worked fine and the laptop had been rebooted several times.

However, I powered it off, connected the new screen, using the four screws to hold it in place, then powered it on.

The power light illuminates for anywhere from 2-4/5 seconds then goes out and that's it!

I attempted the "hard reset" prodecure I found posted on the boards, to no avail.

I have also disconnected the battery and reconnected it, disconnected the CMOS battery and reconnected it and finally removed and reseated the two memory modules installed.

So, I am unable to confirm the new screen definitely works but on the other hand it looks like it could be a motherboard failure just coinciding with the screen being replaced?

Is there anything else it could be or I can try?

I am confused as the laptop has been running the past two or three days while I have installed new hardware and a new OS.

Help!!

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Level 17
Level 17
42,930 42,718 6,838 11,954
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

If you disconnect the new screen what happens? Will it still boot and display out to the HDMI?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I see where you're coming from with that question.

The laptop was working the last time I shut it down, I then removed all the peripherals and the power lead.

I installed the new screen but left the screen bezel off and found this problem.

For me the next obvious step was to unplug the new screen in case this was causing the problem, once unplugged the laptop still wouldn't boot.

I tried connecting the external monitor back up via the HDMI port and since this point the laptop hasn't worked.

Could the new screen cause this issue?

When I was reseating the memory etc I did notice the heatsink fan startup when I pressed the power button but then stopped when the LED by the power button went out.

Appreciate your help.

Jim

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 17
Level 17
42,930 42,718 6,838 11,954
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Sometimes the patient just dies on the table and it is not always possible to say why. 

0 Kudos
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation