Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Broken_Again Top Student
Top Student
4 3 0 1
Message 1 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP Envy TS m7-j020dx LEFT HINGE and CASE SPLITTING APART

HP ENVY TouchSmart m7-j020dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

HP Google Search.jpgMy left hinge has split open my laptop case!

Is HP still not acknowledging this to be a design flaw in almost every ENVY series laptop?

This laptop was well over $1000 dollars and splits apart only months after the warranty expires?

What is HP going to do to make this right?

The first search suggestion on Google is "HP Envy Broken Hinge"   - whats that tell us?

Thanks in advance...

12 REPLIES 12
Retired
Retired
2840 2757 184 356
Message 2 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi there @Broken_Again

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forums and Welcome! I read your post on the HP Support Forums and I understand that you are experiencing a broken hinge on the left side of your HP Envy TS m7-j020dx Notebook PC

Please use the following link to create yourself a case number, then call and it may help speed up the call process:

Step 1. Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect
Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"
Step 4. Scroll down and click on: HP contact options - click on Get phone number

Case number and phone number appear.

They will be happy to assist you immediately! Please mark this post as an Accepted Solution so that other people who have the same issue can find the solution quickly.

Thank you!

Have a great day!

EmeraldAvenger
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!
0 Kudos
Teacher
Teacher
138 137 1 67
Message 3 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi...  I've started a thread on this as well and am updating mine with all contact with HP in the public forum...  you can follow along with me as I update... this is the thread.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware/Def​ective-Hinges-on-HP-Laptops-Envy/td-p/5337134

The important thing here is that this is a design flaw in HP laptops.... not damage from normal use.  A good bit of noise needs made here....   lots of squeaky wheels, as they say.

I would be curious to see if you followed the suggested instructions and whether it led anywhere... 

0 Kudos
Broken_Again Top Student
Top Student
4 3 0 1
Message 4 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I TOTALLY agree! This is 100% grounds for a class action law suit - we need to pull together every thread, video, blog, and complaint regarding this KNOWN issue!
0 Kudos
ScottRox5 Top Student
Top Student
6 5 0 0
Message 5 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I am still waiting to be contacted by the appropriate person after a full week from initial post...my warranty had expired about 2 weeks prior to finding the time to get to this point but the problem began well before that...I own quite a bit of HP hardware and will soon be replacing 2 laptops but at this rate I seriously doubt that they will be HP....I have been a loyal HP customer for years but that doesn't seem to matter at this point.....

0 Kudos
Tags (1)
Teacher
Teacher
138 137 1 67
Message 6 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for posting guys...   I updated my thread again just now and started a second specifcally asking moderators on here to comment publicly about the issues...   title of the thread is "HP Please Comment on Hinge Issue" and you can see it here:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware/HP-Please-commnet-on-Hinge-Issue/td-p/5339549

Keep posting!  Share your story on Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, etc.

0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
2840 2757 184 356
Message 7 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi there @Mikeamondo, @Broken_Again & @ScottRox5

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post serial numbers and case details.

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, this post  has instructions.

Thanks. 

EmeraldAvenger
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!
0 Kudos
Teacher
Teacher
138 137 1 67
Message 8 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

If you haven't heard back, make sure to post to their Facebook page as well.... the lady who contacted me said she recieved my info from their "Social Media Team"...   and I got my call within 24 hours.

I want to be clear that HP has been very responsive to me.... they just failed to solve the issue in a fair manner....  but getting someone to talk to was not difficult. 

HP... making a profit to fix a design flaw you created is dishonest.  All the effort you put in to these customer service systems is wasted when the result is the customer has to pay a considerable sum of money to fix your mistake. 

0 Kudos
Broken_Again Top Student
Top Student
4 3 0 1
Message 9 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Unfortunately that is not experience I just had! I just got a call from an HP case manager – She immediately went into a “Scripted” scenario regarding my issue. Once she was done, I asked her what is HP doing about this well-known documented issue.

She immediately replied with, “This is the first time I have heard of this issue”

I then said “From HP or owners of these laptops”

She replied with “Both”

I then asked “How is that even possible, there are hundreds of forums, videos, and blogs on the issue found through a simple Google search as well as hundreds of posts on YOUR HP Support Forums”

She says “Sorry Sir, I don’t see anything on Google or our forums”

I then said “Ma’am, that is a full on lie and I will need to talk to you supervisor”

She then says hold on and transferred me to a supervisor that played the say exact game and denied any knowledge of this hinge issue and said this is the first time he has heard of it on the Envy laptops.

I refuse to talk to any representatives of this company when they straight up LIE to their customers! HP blatantly provides rebuttal’s to their customer service reps that are handling these issues – it’s like talking to robots

So who ever I just talked to, YOU ARE LYING - heres 30 examples of your lies from the HP forum and 35,000 from GOOGLE:

Untitled.jpg

1.jpg

0 Kudos
Teacher
Teacher
138 137 1 67
Message 10 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Sorry to hear about your experiences....  that is pretty much the opposite of what I experienced, although about the same result.  I'm sure they would have been happy to fix your laptop for the regular charge.  I caved and paid....

Interesting, if you search 'hp hinges class action' you'll see that there was some sort of legal action several years ago that resulted in a recall on hinges on a particular model....  not the current ones we own.  This shows that they've made similar mistakes in the past.  Not that it amounts to a hill of beans.  I'll be sending mine in for repair tomorrow... and if it breaks again in 5 or 6 months, I'll expect a free fix....  if not I'll likely be more aggressive. 

Good luck...  I would try starting over and getting a new case number.... and this time, be ready to record the call.  Start by telling them "This call may be recorded for truthfulness assurance."

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation