Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
wjs123 Top Student
Top Student
5 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP Envy Touchsmart 15 Hinge Problems

HP Envy Touchsmart 15

Last year while my daughter was at school she started reporting to me that her HP Envy Touchsmart 15" laptop's case was pulling apart at the corners.  Then she started reporting hearing rattling noises inside the case, then the fan stopped working.  

I called HP support, and was told by one person the laptop was under warranty, but that wouldn't be covered because of normal wear and tear.  I called back later and then was told the laptop was not under warranty.  I called back several times, and got a variety of answers all of which added up to between $300 and $500 for repairs on a laptop that I spent $700 on!

When she came home for a break from school, I took apart the laptop and removed the debries from the fan (I had purchased a replacement fan which I didn't need) and the laptop stopped overheating.  Next I tackled the hinge problem which by this time had progressed to be both hinges.  The weak plastic connections on the bottom were in bad shape, cracked and peices missing.  So (being the brain surgeon I am ) I decided to use epoxy to more firmly affix the hinges to the case.  That fix has now failed.

I have seen and posted on other threads that this type of failure is (despite what HP support says) fairly common in the whole line of HP consumer grade laptops!  Before this, I had mainly used HP business grade laptops and had thought that the quality there would also be in the consumer grade laptops.  My mistake!

Besides the whole HP Support not seeming to be able to give me a firm answer to if they had a permanent fix for my problem, and what it would cost me to fix I didn't like the fact that they required that the hard drive go in with the laptop.  Besides there being personal(private) information on the HD, I've seen them wipe the drive as a matter of course.  For a mechanical repair, their should be no reason the HD is required!

I haven't attempted to open the case to examine the problem closer yet.  Soon...  I've got till the end of July when she goes back to school.

The epoxy repair was performed in January of 2015 before she went back to school, and let go in March 2016. 

At my prior job we were an HP reseller and I have an Elitebook 8760w that is very well constructed so I thought that the HP Envy would be of similar construction quality when I was looking for a laptop for my daughter to use throughout her college career.  I am fairly disappointed with the build quality for this laptop.

Is there any good way I can get HP to repair this for a reasonable price?

I personally believe that HP should go back to the drawing board on the design of the hinges and how they are fastend to the case.  And should issue a recall to fix the problem gratis.  The hinge connections to the bottom should not disintegrate under normal opening and closing of the screen! 

Thanks for any assistance given with this matter.

3 REPLIES
16256 204 847
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@wjs123

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.
Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum.

I work on behalf of HP
0 Kudos
wjs123 Top Student
Top Student
5 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank's for the response

0 Kudos
wjs123 Top Student
Top Student
5 0 0
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Well I just got off the phone with Justin @ HP.  

As anybody who follows the Hinge threds can anticipate, he was less then helpful.  Very polite, but not helpful. He did offer me a set of hinges, but when I explained that the hinges were fine, it's just the plastic case that they screw into that disintegrated he indicated that since the unit is out of warranty, he could not help me.  Eventually he modified to he couldn't help me for free, then said I'd have to send in the laptop, then wait to hear how much they'd charge me to repair it.  He also explained that even if it was under warranty, they would have to had examined it to see if it was "normal" wear and tear -- what a crock!

I've looked at the cost for the top cover (part 720570-001 and it's close to $200 dollars new, the bottom cover runs about $50.

This is not looking good.  It seems that as usual HP would not fix a design flaw for a customer that has been using and purchasing HP equipment for more than 15 years.

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation