cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
dimmu1313 Honor Student
Honor Student
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP Envy Touchsmart M7-j010dx Battery Not Charging

Envy Touchsmart M7-j010dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Ok let me cut to the chase: I;ve tried all "normal" test and options to verify what the problem isn't: it's not the battery and not the AC charger .  What I really want to know is whether anyone has solved this problem by replacing the motherboard or changing BIOS.

HP has been of no help on this matter, and they actually want me to just buy a new laptop or pay them $350 to let them "fix it".  Two things I find strange are: why have there been no BIOS updates in the 3 years since this laptop was built, and I'm also seeing that there is no download whatsoever for even a reinstall of BIOS; and also, why -- despite the fact that MANY people seem to have had battery/power/charging issues on HP laptops in the past few years (if not longer) -- am I seeing no actual root causes online? I don't want to just throw money at the problem (forgive me, but I'm an engineer), I want to know what's going on and whether I can expect the problem to happen again.

I've been through 3 batteries, and 2 chargers and the story is the same: the HP Diagnostics (UEFI?) tell me the battery needs to be replaced.  The battery never gets charged above the charge level it was at when I receive the new battery (70-75% charge for all 3 batteries), and draining the battery to a low level (about 5%) and it doesn't go up.  The laptop is not charging the battery. I get an orange light which tells me it's "trying" to charge the battery, and the behavior is the same for 2 new HP chargers.

Note that all of this is for both the original Windows 8 that the laptop came with, and windows 10 that I installed later.

It seems to me that the only remainining possibilities are needing an updated BIOS (I'm basing that on seeing other forum posts for other laptop models that seemed to have the same problem, which was fixed by updating the BIOS) or replacing the motherboard.  For the latter case, I'd like to believe that the problem isn't the motherboard itself but rather a loose connector or worse, a bad IC on the MB, but either way, I don't want to give HP any more money considering just sending it to them will cost a third of what the laptop cost, but I don't want to simply buy a new laptop when this one is otherwise perfectly fine for what I need.

Does anyone have any input on this issue? Have you had the same problem and fixed it by updating the BIOS or replacing the motherboard?

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
Provost Provost
Provost
41,441 38,140 3,339 14,019
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

There have been several BIOS updates released. They are listed on your Support page in the Windows 7 driver/software list.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-envy-touchsmart-m7-j000-notebook-pc-series/535497...

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the Thumbs-Up button as a way to say Thanks!***

0 Kudos
dimmu1313 Honor Student
Honor Student
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks. I'll check again.  I left the OS on Windows 10 but I've talked to 2 different tech support people and when I asked why it seemed like there were no BIOS updates they couldn't seem to answer. I'm not sure why it would have been so difficult for them to tell me to check other OS versions.

Do you have any idea if any of the BIOS updates have fixes regarding battery charging?

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
41,441 38,140 3,339 14,019
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Actually BIOS updates are also listed under Windows 8. I read the details of each update and saw no mention of addressing charging issues but that doesn't mean with any certainty that it won't.

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the Thumbs-Up button as a way to say Thanks!***

0 Kudos
dimmu1313 Honor Student
Honor Student
3 2 0 0
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Unforuntately updating the BIOS did nothing for me.  Tech support didn't help, they just wanted to sell me a new laptop or charge a flat $350 fee without even knowing ahead of time what the cause of the problem is.

The laptop is less than 3 years old and I paid a lot for it. I'd hate to think some motherboard defect has all but bricked the thing, but that looks to be the case.

I'd really like to know how to acquire a replacement motherboard. I don't want to go to ebay but I am finding it places for around $200.  I'm sure the charging circuit is integral to the motherboard so I'm assuming replacing it is all dell tech support would do for $350.

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation