Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hello.  I just bought an HP Envy x360 TouchSmart laptop/tablet.  Several times per day, the laptop loses connection with my Wi-Fi router (Netgear WNR2000v3).  Nothing I can do (using Windows troubleshooter, resetting wi-fi adapter) fixes it, with the exception of rebooting the router.  Why I think it's a problem with the HP laptop is because when it loses it's connection to the router, all of the other devices remain connected (phone, other laptop, tv, etc.)

I have made sure to update the driver for the wi-fi adapter.  I've rolled it back to rule out that the new driver may be the problem.  Both drivers experience the problem.

I've changed my router settings to stay on specific channels instead of using the 'automatic' mode, where it scans for the best channel.

I'm wondering if it has something to do with the laptop having a dual-band wi-fi adapter, but am not sure.  I need an answer soon, because if it keeps happening, I'm still within my window of returning the laptop for a refund.

By the way, my laptop is running Windows 8.1.

Please advise.

47 REPLIES 47
HP Recommended

I did forget to mention.  I have already taken one laptop back (exact same model), and it's still happening on a 2nd brand new laptop.

HP Recommended

same problem with my x360 15 drops all the time 

HP Recommended

Make sure to like the original post.  It may help bring it to the attention of HP.

HP Recommended

HI @wvcadle ,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums!  :generic:

I understand that you are having a problem staying connected to the router on your HP ENVY 360 PC. I will try my best to help you with this issue. There are several HP ENVY 360 PC's, so to better guide you, could you please tell me the full model / product number of your notebook. Here is a guide for How Do I Find My Model Number or Product Number?.

In the meantime, here are some steps that may help with this issue.

Reset the TCP/IP settings on your PC:
1. Go to your start screen/menu and type CMD.
2. Right click on the command prompt icon and chose Run as administrator.
3. In the window that opens, type "netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt" without quotes, and press enter.
4. Restart your PC and test.

Sometimes resetting the Winsock catalogue:
1. Go to your start screen/menu and type CMD.
2. Right click on the command prompt icon and chose Run as administrator.
3. In the window that opens, type "netsh winsock reset" without quotes, and press enter.
4. Restart your PC and test.

I hope this helps, please let me know how it goes.

Best of luck and have a great day!

I worked on behalf of HP.
HP Recommended

As far as I can see (the model number is in white letters on a silver case), my model number is 15-u010dx.

HP Recommended

Hey wvcadle, thank you for the information.

If the steps in the previous post did not help with your issue. Then try to reinstall the network adapter drivers.

Reinstall the network adapter drivers:
1. Download the drivers from HP ENVY 15-u010dx x360 Convertible PC Drivers page, but do not run them yet.
2. Go to your start screen/menu and type Device Manager.
3. Expand Network adapters.
4. Right click on the wireless adapter and choose Uninstall.
5. Run the downloaded drivers from step 1.
6. Restart your PC and test.

I hope this helps, please let me know how it goes.

Best of luck and have a good day!

I worked on behalf of HP.
HP Recommended

When I first got the laptop, it updated to the latest drivers immediately.  After a day or so, I rolled the drivers back to the original ones.  That didn't help.  I uninstalled the original drivers and downloaded and updated the drivers from HP, which also didn't resolve the issue.

Bottom line, to me, is that Intel is selling a problematic wireless adapter, and HP as well as several other computer manufacturers are having to deal with it.  But it won't be fixed until HP and others force Intel to deal with it, and publish an updated driver that works.

HP Recommended

thiis wireless card is meant to be good from the intel forums from what i read about problems which are easily solved by a driver update of some kind

HP Recommended

I've had the latest driver since first booting my computer.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.