cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
6 5 0 0
Message 1 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP Envy battery suddenly died on windows update

HP Envy TouchSmart 15
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

My 2 year old moderately used laptop battery suddenly died after a windows update. Everything was working fine, the battery still held charge for over 2 hours and now it doesn't work at all.

When I hover over the battery icon it says '79% available (plugged in, not charging)'.

If I pull out the charger my laptop stops as though it doesn't recognise there's a battery. I ran the HP battery test and it told me the battery is dead. How can a normally functioning laptop battery suddenly die after a standard update?

I see there are a number of customers complaining about the battery not charging when switched on but my battery doesn't work at all - although it apparently is 79% charged. Is this normal for HP laptops?

0 Kudos
10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
Level 9
1,170 1,167 69 146
Message 2 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

Its not the battery. Its the update from windows update.

Follow the steps one at a time

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/windows-10-update-prevents-batt...

"Education costs money; so does Ignorance"

If my post has helped you, click the Kudos Thumbs up!
If it solved your issue, Click the "Accept as Solution" button so others can benefit from the question you asked!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
6 5 0 0
Message 3 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for the link. I've attempted to follow the advice, both removing the driver and installing the latest BIOS. However when I unistall the driver when I restart the driver magically reappears, so if this is the cause it's tough for me to test as it appears to be reinstalled as part of the start up process. Any idea how to uninstall and keep it uninstalled?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9
1,170 1,167 69 146
Message 4 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

As I mentioned earlier. You need to follow the steps ONE AT A TIME. Follow the method step by step. After uninstalling the driver for the battery your suppose to shut the computer down completely. Look at the steps again. Read carefully and follow the steps accordingly.

Step 1: Go to Device Manager and look for Battery

Step 2: Double click or expand the Battery

Step 3:  Right click on Microsoft ACPI-compliant control method battery and uninstall it

Step 4: Turn the computer off completely by pressing and holding the power button down for 5 seconds

Step 5: Unplug the charge and check if you could unplug the battery as well

Step 6: Press and hold the power button for 15 seconds

Step 7: Plug in the battery

Step 8: Plug in the charger

Step 9: Turn the computer back on and check if the charging change status

If it solved your issue, Click the "Accept as Solution" button so others can benefit from the question you asked!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
6 5 0 0
Message 5 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for replying. I followed the steps exactly as written 3 times and each time I restarted the driver was back. Here are some screenshots showing it was there, then unistalled and on restart was there again.

This is how I started:

Screenshot1.png

Next I uninstalled the driver:

Screenshot2.png

I shut down as instructed, removed battery, etc, then restarted

Screenshot3.png

As you can see the driver is back again. Any ideas?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9
1,170 1,167 69 146
Message 6 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

The driver will be back because thats the default of your operating system. Did it fix the plug in not charging issues?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
6 5 0 0
Message 7 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Sadly not, it made no difference at all.

I'm using Windows 8.1 and when I run the diagnostic on the battery it says it's dead. Still can't believe a battery would go from normal to dead just like that with a Windows update being the cause.

Thanks for your suggestions and efforts. Are you able to think of anything else I'm able to do bar replacing the battery?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 17
Level 17
46,985 41,243 4,502 11,746
Message 8 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Notebook batteries are only warrantied for one year.

Most people get multiple years as you did, but having an expectation that the battery to last the life of the notebook does not match with the reality of actual battery product life.

The battery in your notebook will need to be replaced with a new one. 

I am not an HP Employee.
You can click on Accept as Solution if my post or reply was the information you were looking for that helped you resolve your issue.
You can say thanks by giving me a Kudo if my reply helped by clicking on the
0 Kudos
Highlighted
6 5 0 0
Message 9 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for your response. For an expensive product to only last for a short period is unaccpetable, actually it's against the UK Sale Of Goods Act, where the product was purchased.

On top of the legality it puts a big stain on the reputation of HP products. I did research this battery issue a lot before posting and it's clear that HP are losing customers due to their poor batteries, their reputation in this area is bad and seemingly getting worse.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 17
Level 17
46,985 41,243 4,502 11,746
Message 10 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

That is an interesting response.

I live in Europe and am aware of the two-year product warranty required under EU rules.

To the best of my knowledge and from what I found online, all laptop manufacturers, with some exceptions for high-end models, provide a warranty for one year. 

I suggest that you contact HP directly.

I am not an HP Employee.
You can click on Accept as Solution if my post or reply was the information you were looking for that helped you resolve your issue.
You can say thanks by giving me a Kudo if my reply helped by clicking on the
0 Kudos
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation